Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weird autotrans problem,,help..

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: weird autotrans problem,,help.. Reply with quote

hi ,, I am the proud owner of a 1992 cherokee 4.0 / 4x4 /automatic.
this car is my pride and joy,,, since yesterday
it has a 3" lift kit, wheelspacers, 31x10.5x15 tires, new radiator and fuelpump, and a custom paint job. its an awesome looking cherokee. I drive it normally, not putting unnecesary stress on the drive train.
what happens now, when the engine is cold, the trans shift normally.
when it warms up, the story changes: it will go into drive, but as if it is engaged"halfclutch" so when you give it a little throttle, it will go forward.but with a slipping feeling. then all of sudden it will jerk into fullgear. from then on it shifts perfectly. I can drive it the whole day without a glitch. I stop the car completely,give throtle and it will drive perfect. the moment I take it out of Drive, and then put it back in,I will have the same problem. it will start to drive like it is slipping, and then all at sudden jerks into gear.from then on,all perfect again.
I drained the transfluid today, and it smells Ok, but it looks darkdark red.
would it be wise to change fluid first and clean filter?
would it have something to do with the bands?(jeep has 101.000 miles on it)
what fluid can I change it with? dexron.mercon 111? and should I take allfluid out of the system(by unplugging the cooler output line)
how much liters does the system take..
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

takes over 4 liters i think , to fix it your probably going to have to disassemble the unit . you could drop the pan and remove the valve body and check it out , make sure the check balls are still in there . rule out the valve body then remove the tranny and tear it apart . see how much a rebuild kit is for it .

or buy one from a wrecker , i have a perfectly good aw4 that i would be tempted to sell for a couple hundred bucks . and i don't think im the only one .

people flip Cherokee's all the time there all over the wrecking yard you might find one for a couple hundred bucks , swap it out and be done .

is it not engaging in first gear maybe? and shifting into second? or just taking a while to engage ?

im not a auto tranny expert , i just start with the valve body and then work inwards , simply because its easiest .

try changing fluid like your doing dexron 3 is more then good enough , filters are around 60$

it could be clutches bands , have a internal leak , a lot of things can be wrong with it really . i would just start with fluid and filter change then the valve body then take it out of the vehicle . you could also try testing the converter stall see were its sitting at . but that usually affects it all the time .just trying to give ideas before you take it out .

this is just my opinion some one else might give you a better one .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be one of the following problems...

1. TV Cable out of adjustment
2. Shift Cable out of adjustment
3. Bad Solenoid(s)
4. Bad Valve Body

1. The AW4 uses a GM release button style TV cable. You adjust it by pushing the button, moving the conduit in, then pressing the accelerator to the floor until you hear it "Click".

2. The Shift Cable is adjusted on the trans side of the cable. This usually isn't the problem, but I have seen the lock rings rot off and fail.

3. There are 3 solenoids total. All 3 solenoids are in the Valve Body, and are easily accessed by dropping the trans pan. Solenoid #1 controls 90% of the shifting duties, and is critical for proper trans function. Solenoid #2 works with Solenoid #1 in 2nd and 3rd gear. Solenoids 1&2 shut off in OD, and solenoid #3 takes over(TCC Lockout solenoid) If Solenoid #1 is weak you will lose line pressure resulting in poor/slippy clutch engagement. When you said you had no issues with the trans cold, but issues after it warms up, that's a tell-tale sign of a bad solenoid. Solenoids are a common wear item in any electronically controlled trans.

4. If your Valve Body is bad the only option is to rebuild or replace it. The valve ports wear out and allow line pressure to bleed past the valves. This will definitely cause poor/slippy trans problems. This part is also affected by temperature change just like the solenoids are. When cold the ports are smaller, when hot they open up.

You can test the trans line pressure via the test port with a 300psi (Min) gauge.
The test port is on the right side of the trans towards the tail-shaft.
You have to put the Jeep on jack-stands to do this test.

Line pressure readings are as follows:

*Idle in Drive, 61-70 psi
*Wide open throttle(4 seconds max), 170-210 psi
*Reverse, 75-90 psi.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions...
98' TJ, 99' XJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: