Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEATER!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: BEATER! Reply with quote

First things first--look at that odometer

Alright now that's out of the way. I got this from my mom when she had to make room for a Lincoln LS that she took over from my brother when he got deployed. It was bought in Florida, moved to Ohio, and then moved to Maryland, and used as a year-round long-distance commuter vehicle in all three places. My brother the Marine is the one who did most of the damage though, since he learned to drive on it, and he broke out the drivetrain a couple of times. It's mostly working at this point, and it appears to be fairly stable as a platform.

The interior is completely shot. I've already done R&R on a bunch of it, but at this point I'm probably going to pull out the whole interior pretty soon to fix some leaking, and will slather on 1-3 coats of Herculiner as needed for wear, then replace and reassemble as needed.

I'll probably just go with 3 coats of naked Herculiner on the floor, although carpeting kits are pretty cheap these days.

There is an identical Laredo at a local Jeep yard that has good visors, overhead console and headliner, so I'm just going to replace them all. Still trying to figure out a strategy on seats that will not run me into the $1k neighborhood--you can see the slanting on them.

I fixed the flopping hatch panel with some over-sized zinc drywall screws around the edges (work pretty good in the fiberglass) and new plastic clips in the center of the panel where the brackets were not yet broken. $12 no-name speakers from AutoZone to see if the rear electronics work (they do), but I'll probably replace with a matched set of four speakers at some point (front two are also blown but work). I'll probably Herculine a replacement panel and give up on the carpetted one.

The hatch itself is in pretty good shape. I had to replace the license plate light to make it legal and I replaced the hatch hinges and struts so that it opens and closes like it should. The factory tow-bar still needs painting and rewiring. I've got a replacement bumper but I need to do some more stuff before I put it on.

Front needs a lot of work. I've got the new bumper for it but have to get some other issues worked out before it goes on, specifically I'm missing both the lower air dam and the engine shield and need to get those in so I only have to disassemble once. It needs new lenses too since half of them are cracked. The chrome is pretty good and has a nice patina, and the damage it does have will come clean with Brillo and soda water.

It's got a new windshield, and I replaced the broken vent windows and latches already. I also replaced the side mirrors with working aftermarket junk. Both doors have big dents at the seam that need pulling and Bondo--I pushed them out by hand while the panels were off but they popped right back.

Some new General A/W tires are the biggest expense so far. They are great tires--this thing used to skitter around in the rain bad but now holds the road in all kinds of weather. Someday I'd like to put 35" but that will be a long time if ever considering the prerequisites.

She still runs Mr. Green Actually I was going through the old service records yesterday and it's been pretty well maintained despite appearances. Fairly regular oil changes, and the local Jeep dealership did a Mopar CCC and TB cleaning a few years ago. The only diag code is 17 (too cool too long) so basic coolant repairs are all that's mandatory at the moment, although I am going to do plugs and filters and all that stuff in the next week or two, and am going to rebuild the exhaust from the manifold back right after that. I suspect she'll get to 400k pretty easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Photo Album All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: