Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01 Jeep cherokee check engine light on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BULL12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: 01 Jeep cherokee check engine light on Reply with quote

My 01 Jeep cherokee has the check enging light on. I have had the codes checked and it says cylinder #3 misfire. There are no spark plug wires on this vehicle. I have changed the #3 spark plug and still the same problem. Someone please help!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 01 does not have a distributor...hence no spark plug wires. What it does have is a spark rail and a coil for every 2 cylinders. If there is no spark at that cylinder, it's most likely something in the rail or the coil that feeds that plug.

What I would be curious about is if there were any other codes. For example, a bad injector will also cause a cylinder misfire....

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BULL12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can each individual coil be replaced on the rail?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got why they do the whole ignition rail thing....

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BULL12 wrote:
Can each individual coil be replaced on the rail?

I don't think so. I checked a few sites and only found entire assembly listed.
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:

I'm sure there are a few reasons but the one I always hear is that it greatly shortens the path from coil to plug. This allows for a higher voltage without the potential for losses and arcing from the wires or distributor cap.
richarddeel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Check engine light on Reply with quote

The misfire is caused by the heat from the exhaust vaporizing the fuel in the injectors. I have had this problem for a year now and my spark plugs were only lasting about 3 months. I took some heat insulating tape and wrapped the injectors to try and keep the heat away. The vaporizing happens when you stop and shut your engine down and the exhaust really heats up the #2 and #3 injectors. When you start your engine again you will have a rough idle for a bout 30 seconds and then it will smooth out, but over time this will foul the spark plugs.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancerman wrote:
lakeland713xj wrote:

I'm sure there are a few reasons but the one I always hear is that it greatly shortens the path from coil to plug. This allows for a higher voltage without the potential for losses and arcing from the wires or distributor cap.

It also allows for more miles between tuneups. A conventional distributor system should be tuned up every 30 or 40K miles. A spark rail system can (allegedly) go 100K.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
broooooooce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Check engine light on Reply with quote

richarddeel wrote:
The misfire is caused by the heat from the exhaust vaporizing the fuel in the injectors. I have had this problem for a year now and my spark plugs were only lasting about 3 months. I took some heat insulating tape and wrapped the injectors to try and keep the heat away. The vaporizing happens when you stop and shut your engine down and the exhaust really heats up the #2 and #3 injectors. When you start your engine again you will have a rough idle for a bout 30 seconds and then it will smooth out, but over time this will foul the spark plugs.

I know this is an OLD OLD post, but I just want to know if this is plausible because my jeep does misfire mostly when it's hot and the problem has just started to get really bad now that its about 100 out side. I have an 01 that has a cylinder 3 misfire even after I changed the plug that causes it to start very rough lately, but it evens out when it is in motion--but my gas mileage is noticeably lower.
Cherokeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Check engine light on Reply with quote

broooooooce wrote:
richarddeel wrote:

I know this is an OLD OLD post, but I just want to know if this is plausible because my jeep does misfire mostly when it's hot and the problem has just started to get really bad now that its about 100 out side. I have an 01 that has a cylinder 3 misfire even after I changed the plug that causes it to start very rough lately, but it evens out when it is in motion--but my gas mileage is noticeably lower.

I'll bite on this old post, because I am also a victim of hot rough starts.
On an older carberator engine, it was called vapor lock.
I think the gas boils from manifold heat, which really screws up vaporization. Check engine came on, code = cylinder misfire. Not always the same cyl. Dealer put a heat wrap on to "cure" the problem, but it still happens occasionally. Try this: when stopping for a few minutes like for a sixer, open the hood to let heat escape. Let it cool for 10-15 min or so. Then try starting. It works for me, if I wait long enough to let heat escape.
1" TC drop, Iron Rock rock sliders, custom grill guard
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: