Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 AND 01 CHEROKEE WINDOW PROBLEMS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BULL12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: 98 AND 01 CHEROKEE WINDOW PROBLEMS Reply with quote

I have a 98 jeep cherokee and my wife has an 01 jeep cherokee. Both of these vehicles have electric windows. The problem I am having is you can only control the windows from the drivers control panel. None of the other window switches will work for the windows. This is quite aggrevating. Has any one else had this same problem? And if so what did you do to fix it?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 97. It seems to be pretty common. It's the drivers side switch panel. It's a sealed unit so it really can't be repaired and needs to be replaced.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tardis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned the switch in my Cherokee with Caig DeoxIT contact cleaner. It's been working fine for 6 months now. It's a pita to get the cleaner in there, but it can be done.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically, the problem is the "child safety switch" that you can push in to prevent the passengers from opening their windows. I had to go to the dealer to get my unit (they don't sell this switch separately... you have to buy the whole switches unit). It cost almost $200 after taxes. With that price, it might be worth it to try to somehow open the case around the switches and somehow bypass this unecessary switch. The worst you could do is ruin the switch panel which has to be replaced anyways.
Tardis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that safety lock gave me problems too.
I douched it real good with cleaner, and turned it on and off a bunch of times.
This was with the switch out of the vehicle of course Laugh
There's no way to get those switches apart without destroying them in the process.
You just have to use a lot of contact cleaner and clean them really good.
I posted about this awhile back, DavidXJ did too... http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=59909&highlight=#59909
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

the master window switch is bad- the one on the drivers panel. I know several people already have told you that, but I was going to suggest to get the part from a junkyard- it would probably be about ten or twenty bucks as opposed to 200. good luck!!
whlstnd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or do it the easy/free way and get on naxja.org and search for window lock switch. there is a writeup that shows you can connect 2 wires and bypass the window lock, easy and free fix for a common problem.
mike
BULL12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the bypass on my 98 and it works. But on the 01 it didnt make a diff. Any suggestions?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happened to my 99, it was the circuit board under the child safety switch. There was a very small crack causing the problem. Sometimes both windows worked and sometimes they didn't. I soldered the crack and haven't had a problem since. This was about 2 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: