Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

242 transfercase problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marktruck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: 242 transfercase problems Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
I have a problem with my transfercase. Its on a 1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 I / 6 42RE
4speed auto trans.242 transfercase 204,000 miles For the last 10,000 miles wile driving
(city or hwy.) I would feel a jolt from the rear a sound that I can say was like the sound of trying
to shift a trans. with nosycronisers, just a grinding gear against gear noise. I thought it might be
limited slip clutchesgoing out - till i found I have no limited slip rear end.Then last sunday on the
way to church it revealed itself to be the transfercase. At 70 mph in 2wd it sounded like the
transfercase just sliped out of gear, I coasted over to the side of the road stopped completely
turned the motor off and put it into park,shifted it through 2wd,4pt,4ft,n,4lo, back to 2wd it felt fine
shifter tight cranked it up no problem,drove 2miles it did it again,I tride to hold it in gear with My
hand but it would'nt stay in gear nothing would work but 4 lo, and was able to limp 6miles to mother
in laws and leave it there.I've found another 242 for $400.00 My qestion is What could it be?
A snap ring broke?I have a manuel from miller thats a pretty good book,I plan to rebuild this one with
bigger heavyer parts for a spare. Has anyone else had this happened? I've read every post
on 242 transfer cases I could find, and haven't seen this problem come up yet, and please no jokes
about "thats what I get for going to church on sunday morning instead of going mud riding"
marktruck
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 is WAAAAYYYYY to much. i got mine for 75 bucks holla

a junbk yard will sell them from 100-150 tho id look around. shit if you find a 231 ill sell you my 242!
marktruck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back to my truck tonight & it ran fine from just sitting there???
IF the trasfer case is low on fuid,could it heat up enough to warp the shifter forks where it would not shift into gear? Then work fine when its cold? I can't get under there to check it till I have somone to be with Me to help me get down under there & help Me back up. Has anyone herd of this before? it working sometime then sometime not??
Thanks,
marktruck
cj3a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar problem with a 249 on a 93 zj: t-case making a loud pop sometimes, and other times popping out of gear. eventually it wouldn't stay in high range at all. i replaced it with a 242 and all is well.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont pay no more than 200$ for a T-case....keep hunting.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a dana 300 for 15 and trade for my np231...the guy is even letting me build the dana and flip it and install before i give him the np231

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: