Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I still have a mysterious Clunk under HARD Acceration

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: I still have a mysterious Clunk under HARD Acceration Reply with quote

I still have a mysterious Clunk under HARD Acceration

I orignally thought it was Front Driver's Shock, I installed BPE on both front shocks - STILL OCURRED!

Then I assumed it was historically loose and eventually BENT Track Bar Drop Bracket, Replaced and installed the optional Cross Brace for Drop Bracket. - - STILL OCURRED!

Replaced Lower Control Arms since the bushing were chewed up (easier to replace than changing bushings!) - STILL OCURRED!

Ball Joints certainly LOOK to be in good shape and nothing budges when I jack it up and jerk, lean, pull, hang and push on it! I even went and torque everythign to spec again to make sure even the axle nits were actually 175 foot pounds (required new 1/2" drive torque wrench - OUCH! Add that to specialty tools Phantum!)

Just installed Currie HD Steering setup effectively changing steering components - STILL OCURS! I am stimied!

I would rather get this part fixed before I take it in for a MAJOR FRONT END ALIGNMENT JOB but may be forced to see if a shop can figure this out?

Anyone know a VERY GOOD Front End Alignment place (Lifted Jeeps!) in Virginia?

This occurs more noticibly in 4WD but will do it in 2WD too.

Could it be Front Drive Shaft (Worn U-joints?) Is there possibility of worn thrust bearings in front axle? Doesn't seem that would be THIS loud though?

Can I remove (and Drive) without Front Drive Shaft a day or two without leaks/permanent damage to see if noise stops?

Any OTHER ideas?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this too on Zilla. Turned out to be worn Engine and trans mounts Sad .

I would say check that and also your u-joints Wink Also how are the upper control arm bushings?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can drop the front drive shaft and drive it with no problems. Since it happens under acceleration and it sounds like it's coming from the front end, my gut feeling is that it's a motor mount.

However, you might want to check/inspect around the steering gearbox for evidence of cracks in the "frame". It's a known weak spot and, based on how your trackbar mount was coming apart, there might be some damage there as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to both:

Upper Control Arms are in seemingly good shape (were new with lift).

No apparent damage to frame/steering box area of frame or mounting (just braced it too).

Will investigate Motor mounts/Tranny mounts! Wasn't even speculating in that direction . . .

1992 XJ Laredo
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my jeep runs good with out a rear drive shaft...my tcase chain is probably three feet to long now but o well

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go buy tranny and engine mounts , they wont look broken but when you take them out they will fall apart in your hands .

oem replacements should be about 40$ for all of them .

currie sells after market ones along with a few other company's

if you buy polyurethane engine mounts make sure you buy a polyurethane tranny mount
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, why buy poly tranny mounts along with the motor mounts?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they vibrate differently so basically they will destroy each other .

or at least thats what they say .
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
Yes, you can drop the front drive shaft and drive it with no problems. Since it happens under acceleration and it sounds like it's coming from the front end, my gut feeling is that it's a motor mount.

Billy's89XJ wrote:
I had this too on Zilla. Turned out to be worn Engine and trans mounts Sad

Brad The Best wrote:
just go buy tranny and engine mounts , they wont look broken but when you take them out they will fall apart in your hands .

oem replacements should be about 40$ for all of them.

currie sells after market ones along with a few other company's

if you buy polyurethane engine mounts make sure you buy a polyurethane tranny mount

MAN! You guys are GOOD!

I kept thinking about this as I was driving home from work and I got on it a time or two and determined that it was defintely Drivers side and only did it from slow speed on HARD acceleration and was not a clunk that showed up even on pretty good bumps (I hit some speed bumps at work sort of fast to see).

After I got home took good look at motor mounts:

Passenger side looks ok
Driver side - ENTIRE TOP HALF of rubber/poly bushing is GONE!

"That there's your problem!"

Rockauto has motor mounts for $8 each, I will likely look into best ones available. Looks like a lot of work for couple $8 parts may as well do it with best parts available.

MANY THANKS!

1992 XJ Laredo
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly I like these, better than rubber ones Wink

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76057_854.htm

Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...makes since Brad.

I just replaced my motor mounts with OEM style. It's a pain, but easier than I expected. Move your AC stuff out of the way, take your airbox out, give yourself some room to work. Only real problems I had were getting the bolts lined back up and getting them in (learned later to use a screwdriver to line them up) and I can't seem to get the nuts on the bottom studs to snug up flush. I'm going to take it by my mechanic's and see if an impact wrench might work.

Of course, I fully expect that in the first 100 miles my motor will fall out simply because it was me that worked on it.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to some people it sounds ludicrous , but its usually the smallest thing that causes you the biggest problems . vibration is a big problem in vehicles and machinery especially dissimilar ones , off the top of my head i can think of cat haul truck transmissions that have been installed in highway trucks that simply flew apart , indestructible under a few thousand hp engine but blown apart from 600 simply because of the drive line vibration .

those mounts from quadratec look pretty .
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
its usually the smallest thing that causes you the biggest problems

Amen brother...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get my motor mounts changed single-handedly today. I give it about a 5 on difficulty scale (although I did punch a hole in my darn oil filter! Made a heck of a mess as I didn't realize until I started it up afterwards!) Somone had previously reversed the bolt so I DID NOT have to remove Oil Filter and Oil Filter Adapter but I lost one spacer on bolt during installation and ended up driving the end of bolt into Filter when when torquing it to specs. Leave it to me! Now, I will be changing Oil and filter tomorrow and cleaning up garage floor!

I went with M.O.R.E. model JM600 captured "Torsion" Rubber style mounts:

From their website:
"This mount is IDEAL for XJ Cherokee owners where the unitized body is known for transmitting vibration from the engine (with polyurethane style motor mounts). This "Torsion" Rubber style mount will clamp the engine in place far better then the stock junk mounts do, however, they will not transmit vibration like polyurethane mounts do! "

Here is a couple of pics:
First is my Driver's Side (I have been trying to locate a mysterious CLUNKING Sound on acceration. This began a long while back at Paragon! It 1st was only noticed offroad. Got bad after KY Black Mountain trip. Don't know why I never suspected Motor Mounts!

Passenger side was worn but not near as bad as Driver's side. Also shown is one of the new ones.

1992 XJ Laredo
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new one looks pretty bad-ass. I'm beginning to regret not putting something stronger in mine. But not so much that I want to voluntarily go through that again...
Bone Stock, except for the cheezy glasspack the previous owner installed
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: