Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ Keyless Remote Receiver Location?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: ZJ Keyless Remote Receiver Location? Reply with quote

Hello to everyone!
After searching it seems there are two possible locations where the keyless remote receiver is located.
1: Overhead console or dome light
2: Passenger door
I have checked both the console & dome light in my 97 ZJ Limited but nothing is there that I can see. I haven't checked the door yet, is this a possible location? My ZJ has a sunroof so it does not have a long overhead console but two small ones if that matters. Are there any other possibility's?
The reason I am even looking is the last owner lost the remotes and I'm hoping to get either a number or frequency off the receiver to replace the remotes without having to go to the local Jeep dealer, or am I chasing something for nothing? Maybe an aftermarket keyless entry would be a better way of resolving this providing it will activate the factory alarm?
Thanks, Jeepers ZJ

1997 Char Gold Limited ZJ
4.0 Full Time 249 (Yuk)
My $1200 Dollar Special! Cool
More Pictures @
http://www.siskensales.com/jeep/

RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeepers, Glad you asked. You don't need to go through all that trouble. Just click on the link below and buy what you need and if they don't come with instructions on how to program it. Just e-mail me and I'll send the programming instructions to you. That simple and your remotes are a lot cheaper than mine for what reason, I don't know. But hey, good for you. Your luck is going great. Look at that Jeep you got for only 1200$. Wish I could come across a deal like that. By the way, that np249 of yours isn't as bad as everyone says unless your gonna put your jeep into a lot of off road 4x4 action. My 249 has all most 300K miles on it. Had the seals done in it once and it's still going strong. As far as it always being in 4 wheel drive. You'll never lose traction.

http://search.ebay.com/97-jeep-cherokee-remote_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQssPageNameZRC0021
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found several remotes Both on Ebay and websites specializing in factory keyless entry fobs with programing but I was under the impression that 97-98 and I think late 96's too, can only be programed by the dealership? I guess if you have one remote you can get the numbers of of it so you can get a correct match for another remote?
Please check this website to see if it's the same programming procedure as you have.
http://www.thejeep.com/pilandprogram.html
also I found this neat site where you lookup your vehicle by the VIN and it tells the type of remote needed plus the procedure to program it.
Go to http://www.keylessride.com and you'll see what I found. Sorry but I wasn't sure if I should post my VIN here so I'll try to send it separately. I really hope your right as it sure would make it easier (and cheaper too). As for the np249, mine is working fine with no bind on tight turns so far. I'm just "old school" and I'd probably be happier if I had to lock/unlock front hubs! Wink

4.0 Full Time 249 (Yuk)
More Pictures @

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a differant note rofl

JeepersZJ
Must say, good buy on your Grand thumbs Looked at your pics, very cool the way you did it!! Looks sweet Mr. Green
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thumbs up on the image slide show and my ZJ! thanks
Somehow I seem to fall into these deals but even I'll admit that my ZJ was the best deal yet! The Jeep was supposed to have running/stalling issues but after normal maintenance & repairs namely bad battery cables and a weak battery plus loose ECM connector plugs she's been running fine ever since! The slideshow is a simple Javascript which I'll gladly share with you if you'd like, it's easy to setup too......just let me know. Cool

4.0 Full Time 249 (Yuk)
More Pictures @

RussellRowell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken,
Yup, those are the same programming instructions that I have. I hope you don't have to go to the dealership for programming. No telling what they'll charge you. I looked @ your factory remote @ the website you sent me. Still a good price but sucks it doesn't come with instructions. Does anyone have the programming info for a 97 JGC?????
Hey I looked up my jeep vin. Would you believe my factory remote on that site goes for 145$. I don't get it. Good thing mine still works. But it isn't the original. I bought a used replacement off ebay for 58$. Well, hope things work out for you Ken.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
SecondZJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the keyless modual is inside the door panel. Dont bother to crack the door. the site "keylessride' has your remote for $33. you will have to go to the dealer to get it programmed (can only be done with a DRBII scan tool). It basicly programs the Jeep to recognize the remote(s) - up to 4. You might as well get four and get 'em all programmed at once. Typically the dealer charges for this service usually around $75 but can be free if they like you or $$$ if they don't. Shop around to several dealers and get the best price.
'97 Platinum ZJ ltd, I6 4.0, Quadratrac, 62mm TB, Hambek custom Hood, Kevins radiator Support, ADDCO Sway bars, Kolak Headlight Upgrade, Clear corners, front receiver, K&N FIPK II, 2"BB, OME stabilizer, trimmed front bumper cover
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I really want to get the OEM remotes a trip to the dealer is inevitable! Crying or Very sad
The other option is going with an aftermarket keyless entry w/remote start. I have an Ultrastart keyless entry/remote start system on my wifes PT Cruiser and it's a nice unit.Smile These run around $50 on Ebay but it would give me the features of the factory keyless system, remote start plus I could arm/dis-arm the OEM alarm system too! Cool
Any thoughts on going that route?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4.0 Full Time 249 (Yuk)
More Pictures @

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a remote starter in my ZJ. Works with oem alarm and door locks. That would be your best bet. Nothing beats getting into a thawed, warm Jeep on a cold New England day. Same goes for an ice cold Jeep in the middle of the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: