Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TC Swap from a 249 to a 231

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzy59

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: TC Swap from a 249 to a 231 Reply with quote

Good morning guys,

First post here so be gentle Very Happy

I have a 98 5.9L JGC with the 249 tc currently in my jeep. I have been reading all the write ups about swapping in 242's and 231's and after reading the posts I'm definitely looking to swap one in. However I still have a few more questions about it. I can't seem to find out if my stock transmission/driveshafts would need any modification to slide right into a 231 without any problems because of the 5.9L and/or transmission. Also, is there a specific year/make/engine size that I should be looking for out of an ZJ or XJ to swap directly in with no additional modifications? If anyone has any extra links or more reading material and/or pictures I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Chris
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this one?

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html

theres a bunch on mall crawlin, after my exams tonight I'll send you some more links
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remind me of a damn puppy that pouts everytime someone leaves the room. HAHA

I said when I get my exams out of the way I will help you look up more information. Calm down, breathe in, its gonna be ok.

No CS for you Finger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?p=122305

http://cherokeekid5.tripod.com/t_case.htm

http://www.lostzj.com/tech.htm

http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-mid-sized/178371-98-zj-transfer-case-swap.html

that should hold you over
fuzzy59

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Foxx.

And just so you know, it will only hold me over for so long. Where is Berk not posting on this thread?

Malarky on the cs comment... owned
berk9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not posting cus i dont know anything about this and im sure foxx doesnt either because we've never done this swap. hes doing what you should be doing yourself and just searching for the information on jeep sites and google. LAZY... and when the hell are you going to make a post in the photo album im sure everyone would love something new to look at or are you to LAZY... me>kick <you, you need to stop doing this guitar and this jo and do more of what this guys talkin about eat me

p.s. just give in and buy a long arm kit and 35s for crying out loud cus your going to start going to crozet, big dogs, and telico with me

and oh yeah im not dieing on your bathroom floor ever again

double p.s. semester is over tomorrow so C.S. is going in high gear till i get PS3 and COD4
fuzzy59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yes you will post and foxx is the Mechanical Man superhero so he needs to know otherwise I'll drive up there and beat you both over the head with this handle of Ever that you are SUPPOSED to have driven down already to share with me. And yes I already searched it but I haven't found the answer over which TC matches up the best which I was I called foxx to make fun of him. The photo album hasn't been done yet because you KNOW I can't load them while I'm at work you bastage.

P.S. - I'm leaning towards it, you just need to give me a little bit of flippin' time to get everything together, you know all the s* I'm in the process of doing. bud

And yes, you will die again on my bathroom floor and now I know the "Shoes On/Off Rule" so you're screwed.

Double P.S. - I'll still beat you in both, and COD4 I finished finally and it pwns you. owned

So yeah, anyone got an idea on which jeep to pull from Very Happy
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i assume you have a 5.9 ZJ because you mentioned it so...
i also have a 5.9 and i did a T-case swap.

just go through the regular stuff....however. the only one thing that i strongly press!!! what ever T-case you get, get the out putyoke off it!!

i got a 231HD out of a dakota and i had to look for about 2 weeks to find a replacement....i also recoment !!NOT!! getting a 231 out of a 92 dakota or similar years. dont ask.

i recoment getting a 231, just get it out of an XJ. try to get one as close as to your year.
fuzzy59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you aren't recommending the HD you pulled off the Dakota? I do know the HD is much stronger but if you are strongly against it then I will steer clear of it.

Any idea exactly what years off an XJ or a TJ for that matter? I know the splines might be different as well and I'm trying to get as good of a match as possible.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to get a donor case as close to your model year as possible for the most compatible swap. Other years will also work though. I swapped an 88 XJ case into my 94 ZJ. 231 HD is great, it'll just take a little more effort to swap one in. Because you have a V8 you'll have to swap the input gears, unless the donor comes from a V8. The tranny will not need anything done to accept the donor case, the driveshafts may be off, but more then likely they'll fit fine. If you have any problems once you get started, post up and we'll help you along.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want me to make it really easy for you so you wont learn anything I will make some calls and have a pretty much bolt in swap. But that will cost money as the people I will be calling will be at work, working

berk nice reply HAHA
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you should just do like orange said, start working on it and if you have problems post up

you learn by doing, more than reading
fuzzy59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Fox. I was just trying to see if someone could make my life a little easier before I did the first big change to a mechanical piece on my jeep so don't you give me any lip.

Berk as always comes through in the clutch with the response. where did he run off too? I thought exams were done...

And you know Maxx and I will be working on pulling a TC down this weekend...hopefully, just trying to get an idea before I jump in.

*slap* on fox Finger
berk9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

na i have my last exam in 2 hours then ill be done. i was actually thinking of coming up this weekend but i dont think that it will work out. have family coming in and i dont know when i start yet at wintergreen. ill def come up over break sometime though so we can ketchup and mustard the strength for a lil bit of drinking and wheeling. not at the same time of course cus you remember what happened in the frontier last time i was in richmond offraoding drunk. offraoding in rosemont at two in the morning trying crap in 2 wheel drive...."oh hey look my bumpers coming off. oh well fuck it." then the next day getting stuck and having two vehicles barely pull me out.

what was it something like.... berk you go first cus you have mud tires.... no dont worry we go through it all the time.... oh, well shit, hes stuck

dancing banana
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh didnt maxx do this swap in his jeep?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: