Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

91 xj no start mystery quiz "SOLVED"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slinky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: 91 xj no start mystery quiz "SOLVED" Reply with quote

christmas blues. i have a 91 xj 4x4 4.0 auto. this has been asked before with different opinions and answers. the engine started stalling and hesitating then would die. i replaced the fuel filter and plugs. also the CPS. helped a little. went and filled tank up ran great for a week or two. started hesitating agian at low fuel level, say an 1/8 tank and then killed. if you let it set for a long time say 4-5 hours or a day it will crank but hesitate and eventually die. it is getting fuel/preasure and spark from the coil to the distributor and fuel pump is working. i thought i might be something to due with the fuel pick-up from the tank to the pump but i put it up to a half a tank and still nothing. i put a little gas in the throttle body and it still will not start. any ideas would be so much appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by slinky on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms sound like what my '93 XJ had recently, but in that case it was the CPS which you have already replaced.

Are the symptoms constant now? If so, that is a blessing of a kind. At least you have a chance of doing some diagnosis. I do hate problems that disappear as soon as you look at them, only to pop up as soon as you relax.

Have you tried the key trick to pull codes? Note that there may be fault codes there, even though the Check Engine light does not turn on, as I discovered with my problem. Best is to read the codes with a reader, as that will not only give you the codes, but also number of starts since the problem last occurred.

If there are no fault codes, I would try to isolate the problem to either the fuel or ignition system. One way is with start spray: Take the intake hose off the throttle body, hold the throttle open while you give a puff of start spray into there, and then try starting. If there is no change, your ignition system is at fault. If the engine runs for a few seconds and then dies it's the fuel system.

Possible culprits:
Ignition system: Wires, distributor cover (I hope that's the right term; I mean the thing you stick all the ignition wires into), distributor head (the rotating thing inside the distributor cover), plugs.
Fuel system: TPS, MAP sensor, injectors, ECU.

I'm sure there are more, but these are what I can think of right now.

Regards,
--
Kári
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the forum rules:

Quote:
==> Label your question clearly. More people will read your thread if it's labeled accurately.

Thank You.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now, up-date. i have tried diconnecting the battery and took of the throttle body and sprayed it down with tb cleaner. not as good as i wanted to though beings my jeep is about 30 minutes from all my tools and it gets dark right after i get off work. it is sitting in a parking lot not well lit. i got it to start but ran very rough and took about two min. to smooth out abit to were i had enough balls to try and get it home. i had to ride the throttle and brake so it would not stall out all the way home. when i got to the house it ran fine. no hesitation and will start right up. for now. could this be a sensor on the tb or just dumb luck. i am going to give the tb a good cleaning and pull the sensors off also. thank you all for your responses and if you have anymore ideas or answers let me know.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the IAC. Pull it out and clean it very good.

slinky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did that just last night and it runs better but still with a little hesitation. i am going to try a new one and go from there. maybe that will do it. thank everybody for there comments and suggestions. much appreciated.
badger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you replaced the CPS did you adjust it using an ohms meter?you can not just place a new one on

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ohms meter. why? how do i do this and what do i need to do it.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if badgers diagnosis doesn't work I would check your gas tank (filler line, vent line, etc.) Also check the current to the fuel pump. Also, most parts stores will let you rent tools for a deposit, see if you can get an dvom (digital volt/ohm meter) I do not know exactly what the CPS should be reading out but I'm sure someone around here does.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy a digital multimeter for around 12-40$ at walmart or your equivalent to Canadian tire .

its just as accurate as a fluke or snap-on dmm . just not as pritty .
slinky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need some more info on this ohm theory. i have no idea on reading the ohms on a cps. or what type of device to use. i was also told that the intake temp sensor could be guilty of this none starting issue. is this true.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohms are a measure of resistance I know that much, I don't know what the CPS should read. I'm sure you can find the info somewhere on the net or call a dealer
slinky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not found this ohm theory for the cps to be true. what i have done is replaced evry single sensor on this jeep and also a new distributor, rotor button and cap. i have tried spraying starting fluid and nothing. the only thing left is the computer. i still am open to any comments or suggestions.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connect the ohmeter between terminals a and b meter should read no resistance

to measure ohm's (resistance) you use a ohm meter . in our modern age you use a digital multimeter usually . it measures voltage in ac/dc , amperage , resistance , direction of current . and if yours is really fancy a few other things like hertz . http://www.bhdontario.ca/images/products/fluke/fluke_180.jpg

i highly doubt it is your computer , very rarely does a computer go . its usually the connections to the computer and when you install the new one you make a new good connection and whala you think you fixed it .

do you have a manual ?

change your cam position sensor ?

never changed a cps before but im going to go with what badger said . probably need an appropriate air gap or advance position in relation to the flywheel just like a abs sensor . since its the same thing .
slinky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who has actually had to do this with a replaced cps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: