Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Suspension Sagging

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soberidiot22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Rear Suspension Sagging Reply with quote

My rear suspension has recently started to sag. so bad its starting to bottom out on my tires and wearing them down. i recently bought new shocks and havent installed them yet. ive heard that if you put to big of a load on springs it can kill them. i have hauled heavy loads with this XJ and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is thats making it sag.

kyle
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just wear and tear...leaf springs aren't exactly known for their long life span. Mine are doing the same thing and my XJ isn't even 10 years old.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: springs Reply with quote

I replaced mine a year and a half ago and they are already sagging. This is with very little towing and weight in the back. It's a 99. I bought the springs from a local spring maker, won't do that again. When warm weather comes back I will replace them with either the stock HD ones (towing) or upcountry ones. What annoys me most is the spring wrap feel of crappy springs.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get stock height springs from www.rustysoffroad.com
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get some stock height HD springs from www.quadratec.com they're about $65 a piece.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
BULL12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 98 jeep cherokee. The rear springs were doing the same thing you are talking about. I went to oreileys and bought a 60 dollar set of air shocks and wala problem solved.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an ADD-A-leaf in the that will work and get rid of the sag...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
adamzski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: re: rear sag Reply with quote

your shocks really dont control ride height, they are just there to control the spring oscillation form your leafs. replacing your springs should help this. i solved this problem on my '99 by throwing in some 4" springs from Explorer Pro Comp (while i was at it i threw in the whole 4" kit too)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better idea is to use S-10PU springs, got mine from an 86 extra cab and they haven't started to sag at all. Ba careful, adding them can also raise it up too. I got lucky and found a set from a lowrider, hell most time they give them to you rofl

You could also do a add a leaf too or just get new ones?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Billy. S10 springs are cheap and easy to use. You can add only one leaf to level it or more to lift. Very Happy
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=69814#69814

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any company's make fiberglass springs for cherokee's ?? doubt it . but would really solve the problem
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution on AAL's. Since they go inbetween an already weak spring pack, they are a band-aid to a greater problem. They will provide added lift, but over a very short period of time they will take on more weight as the old pack loses its shape, and there you have the same problem with axle-wrap all over again (I witnessed this when I bought my Skycrapper 3" kit and got to watch my rear end drop back down after only a few months...). Throw on rear shackles, and the leaf pack wears out even faster due to the bowed geometry.

So, what is the best option in the long run? Replace the soft leaf packs with heavy duty ones. S-10 packs (and Dakotas as well) are great low-cost replacements and are beefier per leaf than the stock packs, so they work really well. Or you can spend the extra money and get yourself some real heavy duty packs from places like Rubicon Express, OME, and others. I bought Black Diamond (Superlift) 3" packs and 1.5" rear shackles for mine and they've handled quite a lot for the price I paid. It's also a good idea to use Teflon pads inbetween the leaves if you disassemble a pack to help reduce any possible binding that might occur. Some newer packs already come with Teflon coating on the leaves, so this is more for working around factory packs.

Another nice bit of info. Steer clear of lift blocks. Their only benefit is they're inexpensive. Their problems are numerous:

1: Puts more stress on the pack, multiplying axle wrap.
2: Most of the time they're cheaply made, and can shatter at the most inopportune moment under heavy loads or flex.
3: Need to be retorqued constantly to keep from working themselves loose.
4: Can be stacked to increase height, thereby increasing the chance for disaster exponentially.

Hope this helps.

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good thing about using S10 springs (or Dakota, etc.) is that they are already broken in. Therefore you don't have to worry about spring sag anymore!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem is that the S10 springs add around 3" lift. If you are not looking to add lift, another option is to pick up a set of stock height HD leaf packs. They are stronger then then OEM packs and will stand up to heavy loads. To beef them up even further, you can take the main leaf from the old pack, cut the eyes off and add them to the HD pack. This will add just under an inch of lift, but since it's not adding arch they will not sag like aftermarket AAL's do. Doing this will help the springs stand up to heavy loads better and still maintain the stock ride as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jeep is sagging badly, you can add only one leaf from the middle of the S10 or other donor leaf pack to the XJ pack. That will bring you back to stock height. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: