Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have CAD data for D300 or SM420?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansw3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone have CAD data for D300 or SM420? Reply with quote

I am mating D300 to SM420. CAD data on either would be useful! (2D or 3D)
hansw3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: link to pics included Reply with quote

Here is couple images of what I'm working on:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hansw3/S...D300AdapterPic

It would be great to get actual CAD data. Some Jeep maniac out there must have at least the D300 data, if not the SM420 (older GM tranny). I modeled this stuff from measuring the parts with caliper, square and tape measure. In the image the SM420 case is only represented by the black flange portion of it that mates to the adapter. The adapter is 3/4" shorter than what Novak sells. I am putting this in cj5, so length is critical.

The SM420 has about 7.05:1 1st gear and the D300 has 2.62 low range. Compared to my stock T-150 and D20 I'll have a crawl ratio of 84 instead of 27.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link isn't working.
hansw3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: 2nd link attempt Reply with quote

http://picasaweb.google.com/hansw3/SM420ToD300AdapterPic

If this doesn't work I'm not sure how to get a picture here. I tested the one I pasted into the last post and it worked on my computer.
hansw3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now looking to purchase the Novak kit.

After consulting some welding experts I have decided not to fabricate adapter. The modified input shaft would be the real issue. See below if you're interested.

there would be 50/50 chance that modifying my shaft would result in breakage for my abusive application (1400 ft-lbs at 400 rpm).

If modifying existing shaft:

* Anneal existing shaft and cut off end
* Weld on new female splined coupler
* Relieve weld stress
* Heat treat (through hardening would be more likely to break than induction hardening)

New shaft fabrication would cost about $450.

* Recommended material would be either 4140 or 4340 (recommended 4340 because of rotating shaft with high torque)
* Hardness would be determined by measuring existing shaft (rule of thumb- more torque requires higher hardness)
* Splines would be made by fitting up the mating parts I would supply to them until they fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: