Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My old ZJ needs a little help from someone smarter than me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OC_Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: My old ZJ needs a little help from someone smarter than me! Reply with quote

Hello Gentlemen,

This is my first post and I gotta tell ya, this place is probably going to save my ASSets. Itís great to find such a wealth of information when you are basically uninformed about twisting wrenches.

I have recently purchased a 95 GC Laredo on Ebay. Yea I know..not too smart. Anyway, I only paid $1200.00 and after new ball joints, rotors, instrument cluster from a junk yard and some other do-dads along with tags & taxes I have it on the road for around 3k.

Before I could start working on it I had to take the interior out and scrub about 100 spilled cokes out of the carpet and seats so I wouldnít stick to anything.

I have several problems that I want to fix. I bought the shop manual and the illustrations are sooooo good. I guess if I was an educated mopar mechanic it would make better sense but Iím not.

When I drove it home, I was about 15 miles from my starting point when all this smoke started rolling out from under the dash near the glove box. I found that the window circuit breaker was red hot so, I yanked it out. Upon closer inspection I have discovered that the driver door harness has been mangled and the 2 rear harnesses have mashed wires in them. I got 3 used harnesses from a guy and the entire relay assembly thatís under the glove box. Now this may sound stupid but, I canít get the plugs separated under the dash for the driver harness. Is there a trick to it? Do I need a special tool? Iím old (55) and fat and Iím having a heck of a time twisting around and getting both hands in there to take them apart.

My next dilemma is the heat and air only blow out of the defroster vent. So I started taking the dash apart a piece at a time trying to access the damper. I now have most of the dash disassembled and I hope to God I can remember where all this stuff goes. I have stopped further disassembly because I read here this morning that I probably have a vacuum problem so, my question is. Is there a logical way to find a vacuum leak and is this the way I should begin tracking down this problem. My cruise control doesnít work either but I think thatís part of the vacuum problem.

I am anxious to get these aggravations fixed so I can start putting the fun stuff on this baby. I want to lift it up enough to put some 32ís on it. No practical reason..I just like the look. Iím also going to put a safari rack on top. Then I want to tweak the intake and exhaust. This place has given me a lot of inspiration and there are so many toys to add. I probably wonít do any rock crawling (well who knows ) I live at the Ocean and love to surf fish. My new Explorer is starting to smell like fish so I had to make a change.

Thanks for reading all this ramblingÖ.and thanks for all the great info thatís here.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blend door and the cruise control are both controlled by the same vacuum line .. It goes into the firewall on the passenger side. look for it , its a black hard plastic line.. Find the break and patch it with some 1/8 vacuum line.. That should solve those probs..

Next... horse

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OC_Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Swamp Boy Reply with quote

Thanks Swamp Boy....I hope to get to that next week. The body on this 95 is great but I gotta lot to do to fix the other things. I hope I can pick your brain again in the future.......seems like your the GURU.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy is the ZJ god and all things that are related!!!!!!!!!!!

bowdown
OC_Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to checking my vacuum problem. There is a line that comes out of the intake manifold and goes into a rubber elbow. That elbow is hidden by the heater hose and is hard to see. But, that was the problem. The elbow was rotten. I canít believe it was such a simple fix. Everything else on this heap has been a major pain. I think Iím going to call it my ďBeach Heap JeepĒ. Anyway, I now have heat on the floor and cruise control. Thanks Swampy.

This baby is starting to shape up. My windows & door locks now work after a trip to the junk yard. I got the harness for $40.00 and the dealer wanted $340.00. I took the entire interior out as well as the dash and scrubbed about 100 spilled cokes out of everything. I put a safari rack on it and mounted a shovel and high lift jack. It will also carry the spare tire and a solar hot water tank to wash the fish stink off at the end of the day. I got my wheels & tires. Went with 32ís. And, as soon as the rest of my lift kit arrives Itís going up 4 ĹĒ. After that, a new exhaust and fix all the oil leaks.

I hate to admit it to all you hard core rock crawlers but I even washed and waxed it. Iím really haviní a ball wrenching on this. At 55 I never thought Iíd say that.
Very Happy
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OC_Charlie wrote:
Iím really haviní a ball wrenching on this. At 55 I never thought Iíd say that.
Very Happy

That's great! Good to see that you enjoy your Jeep so such! I know I thoroughly enjoy wrenching and wheeling my Jeeps. I wouldn't have it any other way! thumbs Twisted Evil
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats..

Do not be ashamed of waxing.. I have been known to wax mine...

Not very often .... But it has happened... rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: