Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.5 or 4.0 Which is better?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: 2.5 or 4.0 Which is better? Reply with quote

Hello,

I came across a 1986 XJ with 5 new tires, great interior and good exterior (the paint is oxidizing a little) with decent miles, about 150K for $300. The vehicle needs a clutch and then it will be ready to drive. It's been sitting for four months.

I have not actually seen the vehicle in person yet however I do know that it has the original engine, which is the 2.5L... I'm going to see the vehicle in person Wednesday 1/9/08.

My question is, which is better, the 4.0 I6 or the 2.5 I4?

I'm temped to say HELL YEAH I"LL BUY IT! Because it's only $300...
On the other hand I kind of want to save up and buy a newer XJ, preferably 1990-1995 with a 4.0.

Anyway, give me your input...

By the way, if I get the $300 Jeep I'll have $1000 to put into right away.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Tim Hallam - Weed California
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4.0 is definitely a better engine but that's not to say that the 2.5 is bad...hell for $300 I'd buy it even if it didn't crank.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.0 is the best way to go . 300$ is pretty good . thing is i know a guy near my house who got a 88 4.0 in good working condition for 300$ it really just depends on how desperate the person is that is selling it . it had some rust and high kms but shit 300$ its hard to get a working vehicle for that price .

if i found one for 300$ that ran i would buy it .

personally couldn't own the 2.5 , all my vehicles have to be faster then my friends 4.3L chev .
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This vehicle has definitely been well cared for. The man who's selling it is about 60 years old and is the original owner. He was recently in an accident (with a different vehicle) and can no longer opperate the clutch with his left foot due to an injury obtained during the wreck.

In a different post, "Tardis" advised me:

"If you want a strong off-road machine, you need to 86 the Peugeot BA 10/5 trans, and replace it with an AX-15 if it hasn't been done already.
Those Peugeot trannys are weak, and blow up just from street use."

Now, I don't have any first hand experience with either transmission but if it's true (I have been told by numerous people that the BA 10/5 sucks) than this Jeep probably isn't what I want. However, it may be well worth it just to and re-sell for a little more. I KBB'd it and it came out to about $1,200.

Right now, I have a '89 Coupe Deville that I'm trying to get rid of ASAP so I can buy a Jeep. No one wants the thing!

There's also a 1995 U.S. Forest Service Jeep with a 4.0 H.O. with 108,XXX miles on it for $2,500... I'd love to get my hands on that one but I can't afford it.

Anyway, I don't want to get too off topic, so, thank you for in the input on the 2.5 VS 4.0. Thank you.

I'd like to read some pro's about the 2.5 if there are any.

I appreciate it!

Tim Hallam
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i drive a 2.5L jeep with a 4 speed. It lacks power on the highway very badly but in 4Lo it doesnt have a problem powering through most anything. I recently pulled a 94 Chevy Tahoe out of a frozen 3 1/2 foot snow drift with street tires (that are bald) with the ol' 2.5... The only time I ever have troubles offroad is when im trying to climb a 30 degree angle for more than 100 feet, she just loses momentum. If you do more haggard offroading with massive hills and you plan on being able to pull people if they break yes, get the 4.0. but if your just using the jeep for somewhat technical trails the 2.5 will do fine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you "toliver09" that's kind of what I was wanting to hear.

"If your just using the jeep for somewhat technical trails the 2.5 will do fine."

That's all I want for now, just a capable off road machine. My main objective is simply to buy and resell it for a little more after replacing the clutch. I really want a 1990-95 XJ 4.0

Thanks...

Tim
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toliver09 wrote:
If you do more haggard offroading with massive hills and you plan on being able to pull people if they break yes, get the 4.0. but if your just using the jeep for somewhat technical trails the 2.5 will do fine.

That's true as long as you don't put larger tires on, then a regear would definitely be necessary with the 2.5! Twisted Evil
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not planning on puting larger tires on it or doing anything other than fixing the clutch. I'm going to buy it because of the price, fix it, sell it... Save some more and buy a 4.0.

My goal/hope with my "future" 4.0 is to lift it slightly, just enough to fit 31's comfortably 4" lift at max. Brush gard, whinch, roof rack, lights...

Tim
fishjrl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would buy it just for the front axle. all the jeep yards around here have been picked apart and the 4 banger d30 is in a higher demand
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw on an earlier post that up to a 31" tire works well without having to regear a 2.5
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toliver09 wrote:
i saw on an earlier post that up to a 31" tire works well without having to regear a 2.5

depends on the person . personally that would be really really slow .
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Well, as much as I would love to put money into this Jeep and put some larger tires on it I think it would be wise simply to but it, fix it, sell it, save up... Then get a newer 4.0L.

Thank you for the comments regarding my question. I appreciate it.

Tim
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HO 4.0 HO 4.0 HO 4.0 HO 4.0." sorry. i truly love the H.O. 4.0. it is a strong engine that revs high and has great torque in stock trim. just my thoughts. wait, do they even count? WHO CARES. HO 4.0 HO 4.0 ho 4.o
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.0 HO!!!!!!!

I heard you.

I am familiar with the high output 4.0... My friend had a 95 XJ OH4.0 U.S.F.S. retired. Unfortunately he broke the Jeep driving like a drunken fool. He had it in 4-Lo, 1st gear, clutch in rolling backwards down a steep hill and at about 10 MPH backwards to revved it up and popped out the clutch. WHAT AN IDIOT! the engine actually torqued it's self out of the it's mounts, twisted the transmission in some way and broke his front drive shaft clean off of the front differential. It was crazy, and very loud. Amazingly he was able to get the Jeep home that same night.

But yes, "Slinky" I too like the OH4.0 I just can't afford one right now.

The one I like is $2,500 with 108,XXX miles on it.

Tim
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty good price , jeeps sure are cheap in america
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: