Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lockers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepthing1127

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: lockers? Reply with quote

whats better to lock up, front or rear? for trail riding and some really muddy pits
whlstnd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear first.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a Dana 35 rear axle then i wouldn't put a locker in it . or you should carry some spare axle shafts at all times .

if you have a Chrysler 8.25 1997 and newer then put a locker in it , if you have a Dana 44 put a locker in it . if you have a Dana 35 , well its gonna break .

the front axle is pretty tough but you don't really want a locker in the front unless its a selectable locker .

Last edited by Brad The Best on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we built my dads xj he put a lockrite in his front d30. He likes it and cant tell its there but since hes locked in the rear as well he would prefer selectable for those certain situations.

If you have a d35 rear I'd lock the front

Chrysler 8.25 lock it first
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 92XJ with Lockrights front and rear.

rear is 8.25 (smaller 27 spline axles)

Does great! A bit noisy (click, click, click) when turning.

This is NOT a DD though. On tight trails the selectable would come in handy as when front axle is under power (4WD) the locker does tend to fight the steering a bit.

Again, for me, a Selectable would be handy but is not a Requirement.

Locked is better than Unlocked.

NOTES:
I don't have to contend with a lot of Snow and Ice, that would certainly be safer with selectable lockers.

Powertrax are less noisy than lower end LockRights but are also more expensive.

Many people use the terms Lockright and PowerTrax interchangebly but there are two different products (same company).

My 2 cents worth (get what you pay for - or less!)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put a locker in the rear first. If the hill is really steep, the weight shifts to the back tires, which means they have more traction. Also, as others have stated, a locker in the front (if not selectable) makes steering quite difficult. If you are going to drive it on the road at all, the front should only have a selectable locker or something like Eaton's Detroit Truetrac (gear driven limited slip). But with the Truetrac, to get power to both wheels when one of them has zero traction, you have to apply a good amount of brake pedal along with the gas to get it to transfer power. It does not work as well as a locker.

So, if you can only do one, I would put a locker in the rear first.

Disclaimer: If you are planning on spending the money on putting in a selectable locker, but you can only do one axle at this time, you may want to consider putting it in the front right now, because the automatic lockers like the Powertrax are quite inexpensive to put in the rear later on, and can even be installed at times without removing the whole carrier. If you have to have both an automatic and a selectable locker, then the ideal is to put the selectable in the front with the automatic in the rear. But if you are planning to install both as selectable lockers or aren't ever going to spend the money on them, then once again, start with the rear.

I don't think I'm getting my thoughts out in a very intelligable manner, so I'm going to stop now.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
I would put a locker in the rear first . . . . If you are going to drive it on the road at all, the front should only have a selectable locker or something like Eaton's Detroit Truetrac (gear driven limited slip).

I understand and agree with almost everything DavidXJ said, I may misunderstand but my front automatic locker (LockRight) is unnoticeable (other than clicking sound when differentiating) on paved roads (When in 2WD Rear wheels have power).

Not sure exactly what you meant by your very definitive sounding statement?

I have been VERY pleased with mine for over a 1 1/2 years!

I was not going to put $1,500 worth of Selectable Lockers into this piece of $&^%&%& !

It HAS however been very much worth what I paid for LockRights! (~$300 each)

1992 XJ Laredo
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry jppilot61, I guess that was bit definitive sounding. That's what the guy at the 4x4 shop here in town told me with the same emphasis. He is the best differential guy around, so I took his advice. But that doesn't mean he is right. He convinced me to put a Lockright in the back and a Truetrac in the front. The truetrac works alright, but not as effective as a solid locker.

I felt the same way about the selectable lockers... I'm not going to spend $1000 a pop on selectable lockers for these piece of !#%$! axles.

So anyway, I guess I shouldn't have been so emphatic if I haven't actually had personal experience with a Lockright in the front. I am curious though, doesn't it load and unload when you drive it hard around town. Sometimes, even my rear Lockrite can make for some hairy situations under acceleration... like when I'm acceleration around a curved freeway on-ramp. It can get real squirrely when I let of the pedal and the Lockrite unloads at 75mph. Of course, mabye the Truetrac is adding to this mess. Besides, I'm very fond of the skinny pedal. Anyway, how is it on corners under hard acceleration (and after the corner when you straighten out and let off the gas).

I just realized something... does your Jeep have the vacuum disconnect front axle? If so, then it doesn't matter what is run in the front because it's never locked up in 2wd. So if you have selectable hubs or a vacuum disconnect, ignore all this "no selectable in the front" B.S. I've been spouting.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no vacuum Disconnect or manual hubs.

You said you notice rear locker, yes that's because it is under power.

Just don't really notice front lockers on the road, just affects my steering when in 4WD but you get used to it.

To negotiate really tight tree-lined trails (without embarassing 3 point turns) you have to get used to goosing it a bit to get rear-end to slid around a bit sort of like tractor skid steering.

1992 XJ Laredo
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Kind of wishing I had gone with a Lockrite in the front now. Oh well, the money's already been spent. Thanks for the info.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HP non-disconnect D30. Before I went selectable, I had a powertrax in the front. It was barely noticeable in 2WD. It did not make the Jeep any harder to turn on pavement. In low speed sharp turns (like when parking) it would occasionally clunk...and on the highway, when in a very slight turn to the left, you could feel it in the steering wheel as it engaged and disengaged. Again, barely noticeable...

As far as driving it hard around turns...at the time I had 4" or lift and then, later, 6". I drove it like a truck, not a sports car. Wink However, in 2wd, the front axle is not under load from the gas pedal...so it only reacts to the wheels themselves. Therefore, it loads and unloads much easier at speed than it will when it's under power in 4wd.

Having said all that, I would lock the rear before locking the front.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put lockers in the pre-97 rear ends? Too weak?
Bone Stock, except for the cheezy glasspack the previous owner installed
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a pre-97 Chrysler 8.25 rear axle.

What they were referring to is the Pre-97 axles are 27 spline and are somewhat smaller diameter (hence weaker) than the 29 spline 97+

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Larger tires + lockers + heavy foot + excessive testosterone - axle diameter = likelyhood of breakage.

I have too many expensive hobbies to justify an axle swap!

I am probably lifted as much as I am going to and 32" Tires do me pretty good.

1992 XJ Laredo
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coupled with the above, even weaker then the pre 97 8.25 is the Dana 35 - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube

Same size axle shaft as the pre 97 8.25, but smaller ring gear, weaker pinion and skinny tubes...not a good combo when locking.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably end up locking my '95 8.25 and just drive it until it breaks. headbang
Bone Stock, except for the cheezy glasspack the previous owner installed
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: