Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM 2.8L V6 Yae or Nae?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: GM 2.8L V6 Yae or Nae? Reply with quote

Hello,

Some of you have been following a topic a recently posted titled,

"2.5 or 4.0 Which is better?"

If you are one of the people who have been following that post you know that I was looking at a $300 "2.5L" XJ. Well, the Jeep turned out not to be a 2.5, instead a GM 2.8L V6!...

How is the GM 2.8L V6, is it a good engine? I wasn't entirely impressed with what I saw since I was expecting a beauty of a Jeep. Yet, not too bad looking! Here's a picture.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3564/crw4251eh8.jpg

The vehicle has a lot more miles than I was told, 200,644 on the odometer. I don't know how many miles the GM 2.8L V6 usually gets, maybe someone could enlighten me. The bottom of the engine has a little oil on it. I checked the oil and it was clean. No water in the radiater. Unfortunately the owner wasn't there and I was not able to hear it run.

Exterior: Good enough condition for me... Small dent in driver door and a little faded paint on hood and roof. No rust.

Interior: Pretty good. Needs to be slightly cleaned. The headliner is sagging all over. No rips in seats. The entire interior of the tailgate is gone. Smells fresh inside.

Tires: Great! 5 brand new all terrain tires.

Needs a clutch...

I shifted through the gears (engine off) and it felt and sounded fine. I shift through the 4 wheel drives (engine off), went in and out fine, easy really.

$300 as is. 1986 XJ Pioneer

Tell me your thoughts and I'd also like to hear about that GM 2.8 V6 if anyone has something to say about it. Good or bad.

Thank you!

Tim Hallam - Weed CA

Last edited by Tim Hallam on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is it possible to drop a 4.0L H.O. Into a 1986 XJ Pioneer?

Tim
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait for a 4.0! Something better will come along! Cool
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I'm not planning on this being a long term Jeep... But I think I am going to get it. There's a '95 (108,XXX miles) 4.0HO I'm looking at for $2,500 OBO. I just don't have that kind of money laying around.

I'd like to hear about this GM 2.8L V6 though... Maybe it's crap. It does have enough miles to drive around the earth 8 times.

Tim
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not going to be a long term vehicle, then why worry about swapping in a 4.0? The 2.8 is crap!!!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a freind who is always swapping motors in and out of vehicles who informed me that "the GM 2.8L V6 is a piece of crap!" His words not mine. If you are thinkng of swapping in a new engine, he recommends a S-10/Jimmy 4.3L V6 because it's reliable, has similar power to the 4.0L, and the length of the engine is much shorter than the 4.0L. For the CJ-7 guys it allows them to move the whole engine/transmission/transfer case forward to lengthen the rear driveshaft. In a Cherokee it would allow you to have more room between the motor and the radiator for cooling upgrades. And, because of all the "lowered-truck-with-thumping-stereo" guys, there are a lot of aftermarket engine upgrades to increase the power.

Since I already have a 4.0L, I would never do this. But if I had a Jeep with a crappy engine and was thinking of swapping, I'd look into it as an option (I think with the smog laws you can swap an engine in from a different vehicle as long as it's in the same class, is a newer year, and you maintain all the smog equipment from the donor vehicle).
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2.8 is similar to the 2.5 in power... it weighs more, runs a little smoother, but it's not much of an upgrade. Although since I believe the 2.8's have a carburetor they are somewhat easier to manipulate for more power. There is a site that shows how you can swap a 3.4 out of a firebird or camaro into it using most of your 2.8L's parts. Only thing that WILL NOT work is the flexplate with has to have part of it machined off (the 2.8 is externally balanced, the 3.4 is internally balanced.)
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

the 2.8 is not much of a motor for offroading I'll just put it that way, city cruising sure, but anything else no way
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
If you are thinkng of swapping in a new engine, he recommends a S-10/Jimmy 4.3L V6 because it's reliable, has similar power to

personally the early vortec 4.3 is a huge piece of junk and i wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole . something old like a 91 would be okay . stay away from 96 era .

i would go with a H.O 5.0 ford personally, the thing comes stock with roller cam . the thing rips . that what i would put in my vehicle anyway if i ever got rid or the straight 6.
slinky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 IS crap like the others say. the block design is on a 60* angle unlike the 4.3 and the 5.0 and most V8's and other V6's are on a 90* angle. the 2.8 usually will not last past 100,000 miles and will sling a rod due to a known lower rod bearing or a piston/rod pin going bad. i dont trust any engine that has a 60* slant.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Interesting.

Well, I guess I just should practice my patience and save up $2,500 and buy the '95 4.0HO, huh? ...That will be a while.

Do guys think that Jeep is worth it for parts? For $300...

Tim
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing worth a little bit may be the T-case as long as its the N231 and if the front axle is a dana30, they're somewhat in demand. I don't think you'd get the full 300 for them though at a swap meet
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

I guess all hope for the old XJ is lost. No Jeep for now Sad

I suppose the thing to do is to ask for more hours at work and put it all in the bank.

I'll pursue the 1995 4.0 High Output Jeep for $2,500.

Thank you for talking me out of it, I don't need another broken car sitting around.

Tim
slinky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to check if it has a dana 44 rear. around here that alone is worth $300. and is also a good upgrade for most smaller 4x4's like the jeep or s10 or ranger or . well you get the idea. if the front dana 30 has the vacume connect/disconnect for the 4x mode it is trash.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check and see if it has a D44. Also though, It looks like I have a good chance of getting that '95 4.0 HO! The guy is willing to accept a down payment followed by monthly payments. I'll be meeting him in person soon to talk more.

Tim
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds great. if you do decide to do that be shure to have some papers drawn up (legal if all possible). and be shure to have some sort of witnesses on both partys to signature for each person, a liget bill of sale, clean title and make a copy of each payment you make. just get you a document folder and keep everything. if you put or add anything to the vehicle like repair parts or even oil changes. be shure to document it and keep all reciepts. and even take pics if you can. i am saying all this because you can not trust anybody anymore. i got ripped on a jeep that i had seen pics of , of all sides and it was not what it appeared when i saw it in person. but i traveled over 700 miles so it went home with me. in short. cover your own a$$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: