Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift kits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iblack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Lift kits Reply with quote

Hi all, Im new here and just had a few questions. I just bought a 01 Cherokee Classic and was woundering how a lift kit differs from risers? I understand that you can just get leafs or blocks, but I also see that you can get a full susspension lift kit that includes all that you need? I am currently looking to raise my Cherokee 2.5 or 3", I have been looking at some info and it all seems to be different pertaining to what kind of lift I should purchase, price and what else I will need for the lift? It would be terrific if someone could give me a little schooling in this department! I am no mechanic at that but am willing to learn the best I can from what is said.

Thanks

Iblack
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for advice on...

1. The brand of 3" lift kit the people on this forum feel are the best kit for the money?

or...

2. The cheapest way to achieve 3" of lift?

or...

3. What is the most proper and best functioning type of 3" lift?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "risers."

Personally, if I were looking for the best quality, nicest riding 2.5" - 3" lift, I would buy a Old Man Emu 2" lift kit, and then add .75" coil spacers and .75" extended shackles in the back.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lift blocks are satan .
Iblack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out if i need anything else when i purchase a 3" lift kit. I was thinking of getting an old man emu or a skyjacker lift kit. if i got a 3" suspension lift kit from skyjacker would i need to get anything else besides tires and maybe some TJ flares?

Im just worried that ill need something crucial and not know that i need to buy it seperate.

Thanks

Iblack
Toliver09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally feel that skyjacker lifts are more for looks than function.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iblack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now i think i have a little better understanding of lift types. there are body lifts and there are suspension lifts. I think that i want to go with a suspention lift either rusty road or skyjacker 3". Since i am going to try and get into a little trailriding i think suspension is the way to go!

Now all i need is a deisel set of tires!

Thanks

Iblack
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thinking on the suspension lift since you cant put a body lift on a Cherokee , its a uni-body meaning the body and frame are one giant piece .

go with the old man emu kit , the skyjacker kits are okay . they must be tough i have seen them on jeep speed jeeps but really for the money there are way better kits out there .

go with the old man emu kit or a rusts off road or Rubicon express , for a short lift .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Brad the Best said, you can't put a body lift on a unibody. That being said, I you are staying 3" and under on your lift, you should be OK.

Usually people don't start having problems with driveshaft/u-joint vibrations or things of that nature until they go over 3". Your steering geometry should still be OK also. If you put any tires on that are 30" diameter or bigger or rims that stick out more than stock, you will start to rub your fenders when your suspension bottoms or when you flex a lot.

It's usually when you are lifting a Cherokee 4" or more that things like a SYE, dropped pitman arm, new track bar, and many other things may become necessary. But with the exception of the SYE, the parts you would need would come with the kit you bought.

The reason people seem to be so sold on the Old Man Emu kit is that it is designed to ride nicer than stock, yet be higher quality. You can also get rear springs rated at light, medium, and heavy duty, depending on the amount of weight you plan on carrying.
Iblack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks for all the help with this, i will deff look a little more into wheather i should replace some of the other parts that you said i probably wont need to. but i shall do that just incase.

I am going to though get some tires that will allow me to basically float in sand for on cape cod and what not so this should be fun!

Thanks again

Iblack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: