Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 and up XJ heater not heating floor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: 97 and up XJ heater not heating floor Reply with quote

Hello, just curious how other people's heaters work. My 99 puts out good heat but in what is supposed to be the floor/feet position it also puts out heat from the defroster. Usually I have to turn the heat down before my feet warm up because of the high heat at head level. Is this the way all the newer ones are or does mine have an issue? My last one did not do this but was the older style. Looking for warm toes.... Very Happy

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee

Last edited by JeepinNH on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a '98. There are three positions I use for heat: feet, defroster/feet, defroster. If you indeed have your dial turned to only feet and are getting air out of both, you do have a problem. From what I've heard (somebody correct me if need be) XJ's and TJ's tend to have problems with their climate control dials, and the only remedy (9 times out of 10) is to install a new one.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got the problem that when its on defrost/floor i get no heatout on the floor... any way that can be fixed?

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

Sounds pretty close to my issue. I was messing around with it today, it looks to be all controlled by that one dial and vacuum lines going to it. I notice no difference between floor and defroster/floor other than the A/C turning on which is also annoying. Why they did away with the A/C switch is beyond me. Maybe I'll add a toggle switch to be able to kill it. So is there a way to trouble shoot this thing like a certain colored vacuum hose controls the flapper for the floor and where exactly is said flapper? I found all the other flappers. I'd hate to buy a whole new heater dial (must be big $$) and have it not be the problem.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

Here's an update and something Jimmy can try on his. I noticed that if I turn the fan from 1 to 4 with it set to floor I can hear a flapper close and I get full heat at the floor. I can turn it down to 2 after that and the heat will still come out at the floor. If I drop it to 1 then it goes back to mostly defrost. I've been leaving it at 2 and adjust the temp instead. The flapper noise sounds like it's behind the radio or a bit higher. Does anyone know if I have to pull the dash completely apart to fix the problem. If someone has a breakdown picture of it they can post that would be appreciated. Thanks.

dizzymac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check vacuum lines, although many of the XJs have probs with the controls. "defrost" is the default on these things and you may notice that you will hear your AC compresor kicking in...this is normal
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, ill try that.

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

The heater thing was driving me nuts and today was warm enough out to mess around with it. Here are my findings. On the drivers side underneath the dash is the vacuum actuators that control the 3 flaps for heat and a/c. If you pull out the radio you can see right behind where it sits is the duct that goes to the vents above the radio. Right in the middle is a foam gasket that seals the upper and lower ducts. If you pull back the foam you can see the horizontal flapper that is the problem. Straight to the left of this flapper is the actuator that controls it. There is a plastic piece that clips into the flapper itself. Mine worked loose so the door would close and open depending on how high the fan was set. To get it clicked back in you set the controls to defrost then all that is needed is to twist the arm back a little and push it in. I got a nice loud click. Please realize that the engine needs to run to do this because of the vacuum that is needed. We'll see how long it stays in there, it isn't the best setup because of how it moves so I suspect it will work it's way out again. If it does I will add epoxy next time around. I would bet a bunch of people will have this issue eventually. If anyone has this issue and wants a picture I have some but have no place to post them at this time.

iceman153

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: defrost vent problem! Reply with quote

I'm having similar problems, except that i'm not getting any air through the defrost vents, all of the other vents work perfectly. I do also sometimes get small ammounts of air through the defrost depending on the speed i'm driving at, as well as the fan speeds. It definately seems like the flat has worked loose.

Has anyone else with this problem tried this out? Is this a common problem? I have a CD deck that i've been meaning to install for a while now, while i'm in there I'll try this out and see if this solves my problem as well.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman153...

If your's is changing depending on your speed, you might have the added problem of a vacuum leak somewhere in the vacuum system.

My brother's was changing from the vents to the defrost and back depending on how much load the engine had (an engine under load has less vacuum?). Finally, after intense inspection of the vacuum system under the hood, he found a cracked vacuum line. I believe the vacuum reserve canister under the passenger side bumper also had a hairline crack. He replaced them both and it has worked perfectly since. Not saying this is your only problem, but it might be contributing.
iceman153

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hey David

I was actually in there last night poking around and found the defrost servo. I can see it move in and out as it is meant to, it's just not connected to anything Smile My problem now is that i can't see what it's mean to be connected to! the other two servo's are both connected to separate little levers that moves the flaps inside the vents, I can't see a third lever for the defrost servo to connect to... Anyone know where it's located? I have a feeling that it has broken off somehow, but i need to know where it's meant to be located in order to be sure. I have a suspicion of where it's meant to be, i'll try and take a picture of the area and post it up here.
slinky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a similar prob and the vac line that is in the engine bay on the pas side running along the fender side the fender that goes to the vac can located under the pass headlight had a leak right by the battery.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '98 is in the shop right now getting some new bearings in the rear diff. But when I get it back I'll see if I can get in there and take a picture or something (unless someone else has a diagram and can answer this first). I don't have a shop manual.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this post has gained some interest as of late. I will try to find my pictures and post them to my website. Mine has worked loose again but way to cold to bother with. I think the main issue is that the rod which goes to the vacuum actuator is too short so pull on the arm that clips into the flap. This makes it work it's way out. There isn't much room to work in there.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Ok, I have 3 pictures posted to my website at the link below. They are at the bottom of the page and have text to go with the pics. If you find you have the same issue and have a good fix please post it because mine has worked loose again. To be clear, the piece in the red circle clips into the side of the flapper. If it is loose then you have the same issue.
http://home.myfairpoint.net/m_levesque/mikessite/id2.html

Last edited by JeepinNH on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: