Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie that needs help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie that needs help Reply with quote

hello i have a few questions to asks,first off let me tell u about my jeep. 1992 cherokee Sport 2wd 4.0L has 270K and it has alot of issues but id expect nothing less for $500. Its bone stock besides a intake i put on it too help with gas. At some point in its life it was stolen passenger side lock was poped outa the door and the stering colum is punched.

ok first question,when im driving it when i hit about 50mph i get a violent shake but if i floor it and get to 60 it goes away,i looked in other forums and foud simular posts but not at my speed so does anyone have a idea what it could be? and if so where i can buy the parts to fix it

ok second question, how close is the suspension on the 2wd compared to the 4wd id love to do a full swap to 4wd i just dont wana cut all the mounts out if i do ill leave it at 2wd anyone know?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Newguy! Welcome!

The shake "Death Wobble" could be many things, but my guess is the tires. They are probably worn and/or need to be rebalanced. Usually, not always, if it were a loose steering component the shake wouldn't go away until the Jeep is slowed down a bit.

Check out this link it goes over converting a 2wd to 4wd.

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check pressure int he tires or get them balanced first like orange said .

the door lock is easy to pop out its just held in with a clip from the back , you could try and get a set from a wrecking yard along with the ignition .
Mr_odway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a $500 '93 XJ in December with what may be a similar issue: around 50 MPH (+ or - 3 MPH) it would shake and "thrum" a bit, especially under a light load - not "violently" but certainly not pleasantly... I replaced wires, cap, rotor and plugs, and noticed that the #2 plug was blackened: not oily, just sooty. Long story short, I had a dead fuel injector: once I replaced it, it ran like a top.

You probably don't have the same issue, but It can't hurt to check your plugs and see how they look... Hey, it's a 15 minute diagnosis!

Good luck, let us know what you find...
Iblack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be a u joint?
TheCherokeeKid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the basics, jack up the front of the truck and look for loose parts. Is there anyplay in the steering, is there any play in the front hubs, is there any abnormal wear on either or both front tires.
newguy85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

ok first off thank u for all your imput, ok heres what i got so far i notice that when i turn lock to lock the driver side tire stops befor the pasenger side so now i will replace all the ball joints,tierods and get a 4 wheel alingement.so what i was woundering does anyone know a good WWW for new track bars? .so once i can get a nice day here in GA ill do the front end fun. ok nother question,the shock on the steering arm looks old and beat should that be on the top of the list?also i know its not a universal joint iv hade thos go out on my S-10 and its totaly different feeling.

ok next question does any one have a wideband O2 guage and sensor for sale because i think my 4.0 is running lean due to recient power loss. i replaced the cap rotor plugs wires and all the injectors are working.anyone got a idea?
slinky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say get your tire balanced.
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your steering stabilizer is shot that could also contribute to the death shimmy or wobble you feel, but as Orangeamc said, that usually wont go away with more speed, just check your tires for wear and balancing, but dont over look the rims, check for bends and nicks. also, check your driveshafts for dents, missing weights or over all out of round that could also be the cause of your shake. with all that and your planned front end overhawl you should be home free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
newguy85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: ok will check and dooo Reply with quote

oik thanks everyone once again for your imput hopefully in the next few days ill get out there and get to getting ok well ill post anythng i find thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: