Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 zj turbo diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrel88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: 94 zj turbo diesel Reply with quote

i was thinkin of doing an engine swap on my 94 zj. i found an 06 2500 dodge ram basically totalled out but the engine and everything else is good. was wondering what anyone thought about maybe putting that bad boy turbo diesel in my zj?
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been done before i think, but it would be a lot of work.

edit:
here's the link to the 'write-up' i've read before:

http://www.canev.com/Jeep.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a common rail 6bt will twist your Cherokee in half , on top of that you will need a dana 60 in the front and at the least a dana 60 in the rear .

you will have problems fitting in the rad and inter cooler , its possible but the engine's torque output is around 3 x higher then the original even if you had a v8 .

all i can say about the engine is CLEAN if you get anything in the fuel you might as well throw out the fuel system .

if i was to put a diesel in a jeep it would be a duramax , 4bt cummins or 3116 cat ( after cooled) they would all be more suitable then a 6bt , since there all lighter and even though two of them have higher displacement , mostly because the are made of better materials and the duramx has aluminum heads .

if i can remember right the 4bt is around 750lbs , the 6bt is the same thing with two more cylinders , plus that heavy tranny and t-case .

go ahead and try and jam it in but your going to want a roll cage and uni-body stiffeners , your going to be front end heavy .

my dads 1ton dodge gets around 30-34 mpg , you would see about the same with a jeep . the weight diff wouldn't really make a difference . so its good economy but i don't see the jeep lasting long .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: