Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ REAR noise after changing Leaf springs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lckyl16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: XJ REAR noise after changing Leaf springs Reply with quote

HELLO, MAYBE some one can help me out here. Nice site by the way. ok, so i had a mechanic (friend of mine) change the rear leaf springs on my 96 xj to a beefier set with about 2 inch lift. They were a little saggy before. I used polyurathane bushings. Now i get this whinning noise starting at like 5 mph. and it louder at high speeds., I had my g/f drive by while i stood outside to see what it could be....sounds normal to me. could that be my pinion bearings? I also need ot mention that the center gear on my spider gears are all some what "cracked" in the middle of the teeth., all the teeth have a peice missing from the, wierd but true i will replace them asap. could it be just vibrations that are coming from the gears due to my new, harder bushings? thanks, luke Neutral
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whining points to poor gear lubrication or bad gears, perhaps the wheel bearings in the rear wheels are bad. if the springs were bad they would most likely make a clapping sound, its hard to mess up with leafs, most of the time they dont get clamped together well enough and "clap" on each other.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lckyl16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i will change the spider gears and the bearings, and we'll see how far it will take me.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a vibration or more of a whine?

An audible whine would suggest that yes, the gears or bearings are bad and will most likely be gone when you change them.

A non-audible vibration could be caused by the 2" lift changine the geometric relationship of the pinion to the driveshaft. Especially if you already had extended shackles.

Finally, yes polyurathane bushings transmit more vibrations fromt the drivetrain to the body, but if you can hear that whine from outside the Cherokee, that's not the issue. I would say that the 2" lift probably aggravated a pre-existing condition.
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help...I will change the rear bearings and spider gears as soon as i get some extra cash. thanks!!!!!!!
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy its more of a Whine and a tiny vibration, than when i speed up the vibration goes away, but thw whine is louder as i go faster.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lckyl16 wrote:
Actualy its more of a Whine and a tiny vibration, than when i speed up the vibration goes away, but thw whine is louder as i go faster.

this definately points to wheel bearings, i would replace them first as they are cheaper to replace than rear end gears
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, Will do. THANKSSSS!!!!! Mr. Green
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are missing chunks from your gears , i would personally change the bearing , and the gears.

why have such a unreliable axle on a lifted 4x4 . your just going to get stranded
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya no kidding.....I cant do it personaly because its too cold out here in north Jersey...i might bring it to a shop nad have it done...or go to a dealer.... if it was warmer i would do it no problem. Sounds like i need to get this done faster than i thought. thanks
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont go offroading anyways so i dont need sronger axles.... i know i can change them to those 44's . maybe next year. we'll see.
lckyl16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: I FOUND OUT WHY THE BEARING WERE BAD!!!! Reply with quote

Simple...the rear has spider gears. The gears teeth were chipped.....over time the metal peices were mashed and mashed creating powderish metal crap. that got into the bearing and ate them away. EVERYTHING IS CHANGED NOW....NO MORE NOISE IN THE REAR DIFF !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: