Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A FEW QUESTIONS....??????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattxj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: A FEW QUESTIONS....?????? Reply with quote

JUST WONDERING IF THE BRAKELINE ON PASSENGER SIDE OF REAR AXLE IS THE E-BRAKE LINE OR REAR DRUM LINE--THE ONE THAT HANGS DOWN?? IF IT IS, CAN IT BE DISCONNECTED, CUT OR REMOVED--SO AS TO NOT GET HUNG UP ON SOMETHING WHEN OUT WHEELIN?? I NEVER USE MY E-BRAKE. MY JEEP IS A 2001 XJ.
ALSO, DOES ANYONE RUN THE WHEEL SPACERS ON THERE XJ?? IF SO, HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY NEGATIVES ON RUNNING THEM??? THANK YOU, MATTXJ
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brake lines more times than not run along the topside of your rear axle. the E-Brake has two lines that run from each wheel hub and they run to a plate somewhere in the middle of the vehicle where the E-brake lever is connected to them. You can just remove the entire e-brake assembly so the cut lines dont hang down
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your caps lock is on , if you look at your finger nail that is about the size of the piece of steel that keeps you in park .

just saying .

never had a e-brake line snag on a xj , there fairly well jammed up there .
mattxj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry all, I should probably rephrase my question. I have a brake line that loops down and back up to the rear passenger brake drum--I was curious if this was the e-brake line or the regular brake drum line??? Thanks for any input.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the e-brake line is black , its big like 3/8" maybe 7/16"

the brake line is steel and about a 1/4"

the e-brake line goes to the bottom of the backing plate and the brake line goes to the top of the backing plate .
adamzski

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what ur talking about, my 99 xj has the same thing, and it is the e brake cable. ive been in some pretty sticky places with plenty of options to get hung up, but believe it or not, it never has. what i would do is just zip tie it to the axle or hang it from the bottom of the body or something, your brake might work hard, but thats no big deal if you dont use it, and besides, idk what state ur in but in mass. you cant pass inspection without an ebrake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT disconnect your E-brake line... And start using the thing!

One of my friends had his Grand Cherokee parked in his driveway which is pretty steep. He didn't usually use his E-brake either and one day right after exiting the vehicle he shut the door and when the door shut there was soft "ting" sound then the Jeep started rolling down the hill going "TINK! TINK! TINK!" Until the Park pin finally snapped and then Jeep just started flying towards the street! It ended up in his neighbors hedge. Luckly not on a person or in the house. Anyway, as the others have told you. I wouldn't worry about snagging it.

Tim
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ebrakes are nice. Ask berk he doesnt have one and he was involved in a nice little predicament at big dogs, where his passenger drove past him backwards down the trail
mattxj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, It is very helpful to have a place to go and ask a question, this forum is the best.....period!!! oh and i will start using my e-brake.
FARMER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advantage to the E-brake is that if you have a limited slip you can pull the brake part of the way and get the limited slip to lock up when you need it to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: