Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fog Light Switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Fog Light Switch Reply with quote

Hey all! So my '97 XJ Sport didn't come stock with fog lights but...when I bought it the guy gave me a factory fog light switch and said if I installed this all I would need to do is add the lights to the preexisting wiring. I pulled the large plastic cover in the center of my dash off to find...sure enough the wire harness for fog lights. I hooked the switch up and turned my main head lights on to see if the new fog switch was getting power...it was. I got a multifunction meter to test if power was going to the individual fog light harness plugs...no power. Looking in the relay box under the hood I discovered there is no relay for the fog lights nor is there any metal connecters for a relay to go into(the hole for a relay is there no metal contacts though). How can I be getting power to the switch and how is there preexsisting wiring for the fog lights if the XJ wasn't originally equipped with them? Also how would I go about adding the relay into the existing relay box? I know I'm vague but any ideas would be great!!!
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you get power to the switch although the relay is missing, is that the switch is on the control side of the relay, and feeds power to it.

As for the missing relay connectors, I guess that some bean counter found that not soldering these connectors to the circuit board might save as much as a couple of cents on each car produced without the fog lamps option Confused .

I see two possibilities. One is to get a relay box off a fog lights equipped XJ of similar age from a wrecking yard. As the wiring seems to be there, this should with any luck be a "plug and play" solution. The other is to find the wires for the fog light in the harness leading to the relay box, snipping them off and fitting the relay "outboard".

--
Best regards,
Kári
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may be able to hardwire some foglights in also, run a spade connector into an unused fuse-holder on your fusebox (make sure the connector is the hot connector, run power to the switch and then run wires from the switch to the lights. as long as you run the wiring through existing wire looms you should almost be unable to tell they weren't originally equipped. I did this to run my CB Radio.

Or, I may be mistaken but you could bypass the relay and hardwire the switch to the existing wiring for the lights, may save some effort. In-line fuses are very nice Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dancerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but the complete OEM kits at www.jeepsareus.com
adamzski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wire in your own, thats what i did. it will be easier in the long run than trying to switch fuse boxes and whatever else may be involved. u can still use the factory lights themselves if u want for look/mounting, maybe you can also just ground the lights to where they mount and tap off your existing harness for power, that'll save effort, besides don't you want to be able to have your fog lights on with high beams?
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Factory wired fog lights Reply with quote

My 88XJ factory wired fog light system only works on low beams.
taylor13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when hard-wiring your fog lamps to a switch - I don't know for sure that it is a nationwide law but many states require that the fog lamps turn off when the high beams are on. I would go with either soldering terminals in you existing box or an outboard relay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: