Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

underpowered

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iblack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: underpowered Reply with quote

after having my 01 xj for a while and driving it up to the mountain i feel that it is underpowered. What im trying to say is....im going 40 miles per hour and then try to excelerate but it seems to lug and even loose speed going up hills. i think this is due to the overdrive its usually at like 1700 - 1800 rpms when im cruizing but i feel that it lacks the acceleration i need. so i have to slow down or put the peddle to the floor to get any marginal response. i have even had to drop it to 3rd gear when i really shouldnt have any trouble getting up access roads to the mountain. anything i can do to fix this or add some horsepower?

Thanks

Iblack
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds pretty typical of most Cherokees, even with the 4.0L. Mine has to downshift into 3rd just to maintain 75mph over a freeway overpass. So if you are trying to accelerate at 40mph, it really ought to shift into 3rd anyway (AW4 automatic). Your Cherokee should easily run 70mph in 3rd with a stock gear ratio. Heck, when I pull a trailer, I keep it in 3rd gear at 60mph just to make sure I'm not over-working the torque converter.

Installing higher (lower?) gear ratios than you currently have might help and would be a lot cheaper than the many things you would have to do to get an extra 20-30hp you want. My brother has a 4.10:1 gears with near stock tires, and his doesn't have to downshift over an overpass... and it seems to accelerate better too.
Iblack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... would it be economical to do this and how much am i looking at? im no mechanic by anymeans whats the difference between a stock gear ration and the 4.10:1 basically what does that mean?

Thanks
Iblack
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.10's are going to cost you money in gas, the 1700 rpm is pretty normal . learn to give it more throttle at the bottom of the hill , get into a higher speed and then you will rip along at the speed limit just fine . there is a steep ass hill in my city for about 5 km's i can do 70 mph up it in overdrive no problem you just have to hold the throttle just at the point before it shifts down .

or stroke the engine , put on a supercharger or turbo charger .

you probably have 3.55 gears right now , 4.10 will probably bump your rpm's up to 2300 rpm at least plus you have to do front and back , if you can't set up gears your looking at almost 1000$ probably .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. I would recommend the k&n drop in filter and a free flowing exhaust, IE dynomax or flowmaster they will help a little and with your fuel economy

also take out stuff thats in the jeep that you dont need, less weight means the engine doesnt work as hard

Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Also run some fuel injector cleaner
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:

you are a genius , anyone who tells you to change the fuel filter is a flipping genius . if more fuel filters were changed it would be a better world .
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
1fox2go wrote:

you are a genius , anyone who tells you to change the fuel filter is a flipping genius . if more fuel filters were changed it would be a better world .

BETTER YET. High Flow fuel filter Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm? I was trying to point out the basic tune up would probably help
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
Sarcasm? I was trying to point out the basic tune up would probably help

hell no , im all about fuel filters . it usually solves a problem with a fuel injected car .

when you take it to the dealer to get it fixed the first thing they do is replace the fuel filter .
adamzski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea fuel filters are awesome to change, but have you ever done one on a cherokee like that where it is in the tank? i'd like to change mine out but i dont have time or money for the other stuff like new tank straps, ive done them before, but i usually wait till theres a bigger problem.

Iblack: nobody seems to have really addressed your question "4.10:1 basically what does that mean?" what it means is that your drive shaft is gonna have to turn 4.10 turns before your rear tires turn around once, it's like shifting to a lower gear on a mountain bike, you get more power, but you have to pedal faster i.e. higher rpm's i.e. lower fuel mileage, if you do alot of highway driving that is.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its on the drivers side frame rail. If you can remove it without spilling its contents you can tap it on the floor and watch all the water and gunk run out.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the filters are like 10 bucks by the way
Iblack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, well ill have to look into a lower gearing ratio. I hate having to flor it trying to get up hills and what not. Ill first put a new fuel filter and throw in a K&N.

Thanks

Iblack
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to defend my post on the lower gears.

I have a 1998 Cherokee classic with...
K&N Air Filter
Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust
Hesco High Flow Water Pump (supposedly frees up 5hp)
Electric Main Fan (supposedly frees up 5hp)
and... a new fuel filter

All the talk about gaining horsepower from these products and I haven't noticed much difference, if any at all. My rig will still downshift to maintain 70mph over the same overpass... granted it is a steep one. If you read reviews on K&N type filters and cat-back exhausts, they are mixed. Some people say they are the best thing since the combustion engine, the others say they hardly do anything. So the jury is still out on the aftermarket products. But you will feel a bit more grunt with lower gears simply because the rpms are closer to their power band at lower speeds. You can spend some serious bank on these products, and it won't keep your Cherokee from lugging at 40mph in 4th gear. For that you would nead an extra 30+ hp, and you would have to have a lot of after market items on your intake/exhaust/ignition systems to make those kind of gains without stroking your engine. By the time you gain the horsepower that would make you feel like you had a lower gear ratio, you'd be well over the $1000 threshold.

You can't really go wrong with a $10 new fuel filter. It is proper maintenance and can prevent other problems.

That being said, I agree that if you do mostly highway driving at speeds of 65mph and up you might lose a little gas mileage. A little. But if most of your driving is under 50mph, I don't think you'll lose any at all. A lugging engine gets crappy gas mileage, and the Cherokee can tend to lug with stock gear ratios unless you really mash the pedal. I've experienced three Cherokees personally: An '87 5-speed manual, a '95 AW4 automatic, and a '98 AW4 automatic. They all have achieved the same, crappy, 15-16mpg with my driving style. But the '95, since changing the gears and leaving the stock tires, has the best pedal response and lugs the least at 40mph in 4th gear, yet seems to still achieve 15-16mpg like the other two. I will concede that at 75mph, the rpms on te '95 are around 2850, whereas the rpms on the '98 are under 2500. So I'd rather take my '98 on a long trip, but would rather drive the '95 around town.

Therefore, if you are talking about more grunt for your money at speeds under 50mph, you are going to be better off with a lower set of gears. You are going to spend a wad of cash trying to get that kind of noticable difference out of aftermarket intake/exhaust parts. Heck, and since you would probably have to change your carrier anyway to get the lower gear ratio, spend $1200 instead of $1000 and get some Lockrites put in.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some one is going to call me an idiot but personally there is no way in hell i would ever put a k&N filter in anything i own . with how much light you can see through the things they let in the crap , trust me . you get more air flow with bigger holes , ya there is that b.s about weave design and being a thin piece of crap with oil on it .

how ever if you do buy a k&N get a sock for it and you will probably be ok , that is the only way to run one (personally)

just my opinion .

with all the throttle body spacers and headers ,ignition claim's bla bla bla you could double your horse power for 300$ .

i agree 100% on putting in lockers or something if you are swapping carrier if you off road .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: