Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

got problems, need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: got problems, need help Reply with quote

i own an 89 Cherokee Laredo 4.0

...so i got a problem with my jeep...i took it to a jeep shop and they couldnt determine the problem...he said all the sensors n such checked out....

the situation...

...it takes about 5 seconds of cranking time to start and when it does start it sounds like it is going to choke out and it kinda "gargles" but it starts....

....ill be driving and the jeep runs like crap, sometimes it wont even go over 20 miles an hour....it kinda just putters down the road...i thought it was a transmission problem...seemed like the gears werent shifting but thats not it...

....someone told me it was the o2 (or catalytic converter) sensor....but it checked out.....then the mecanic tells me the sensor is going haywire cuz the engine is running cold which makes the sensor go crazy but that doesnt make sense cuz i ran it without a thermostat for 2 years....

....im thinkin the whole computer might need replacing...

...does anyone kno whats going on?

*UPDATE*

i checked some lines didnt see any clogged or bent but im not sure if i checked well enough....

....couple i things i noticed while test driving

1.) the idle speed is kinda screwy...when i rev it around 4000 for a couple seconds and let it down it idles at 1000 for a few seconds and it works its way to 750 but the needle is hoppin up n down, its not steady......

....then i pop it in drive and the idle goes to around 300, needle still poppin up n down, the jeep sounds like its runnin crappy....

2.) next i noticed when in park the exaust has bursts of air poppin out of the exaust pipe when i put my hand in front of it....nothing major but not sure if their should be no poppin at all

.....when i put it in drive and the idle speed goes down it starts poppin a lot more and a lot harder.......when im drving its even worse and when accelerating it seems acceleration is normal then all of a sudden it slows tremendously and stays at a low speed, it does this at different speeds from about 5 to 25......

FYI.....when in park everything seems great, i can rev it and it sounds good, i rev'd it at 4000 for like 20 to 30 seconds and it didnt skip a beat, when in drive it starts actin screwy, to me (uneducated) it sounds like an air related problem but i dont kno very much (just basics)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is easy . go get a couple cans of throttle body cleaner and a small wire brush and a tooth brush , now clean the crap out of your throttle body especially the iac sensor attached to it .

do you have any oil in your air filter ? the valves on top of the valve cover like to get clogged up in the old cherokee's .

you might need to get your injector's cleaned , and you should definitely replace your fuel filter . and perhaps check the fuel pressure .

don't replace your computer there is nothing wrong with it , if you think there is something wrong with the computer wiggle all the connections . 98% of the time a computer is replaced the reason the new one works is because you have moved the connector and gotten continuity back , the old computer was usually just fine . so you can unplug it and plug it back in to .

do you have that heat pipe from your exhaust manifold to your intake installed ?

i don't understand how people take there cars to mechanics and they leave with them not fixed . im not saying its you , im saying what is up with the mechanics in the usa
Toliver09

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need a good tune up. Clean the injectors, throttle body, new air filter, fuel filter, new cap and rotor assembly, new spark plug wires, and new plugs. No more than $100 at O'Reily's
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
wow this is easy . go get a couple cans of throttle body cleaner and a small wire brush and a tooth brush , now clean the crap out of your throttle body especially the iac sensor attached to it .

do you have any oil in your air filter ? the valves on top of the valve cover like to get clogged up in the old cherokee's .

you might need to get your injector's cleaned , and you should definitely replace your fuel filter . and perhaps check the fuel pressure .

don't replace your computer there is nothing wrong with it , if you think there is something wrong with the computer wiggle all the connections . 98% of the time a computer is replaced the reason the new one works is because you have moved the connector and gotten continuity back , the old computer was usually just fine . so you can unplug it and plug it back in to .

do you have that heat pipe from your exhaust manifold to your intake installed ?

i don't understand how people take there cars to mechanics and they leave with them not fixed . im not saying its you , im saying what is up with the mechanics in the usa

i just tuned it up.....can you tell me exactly what and where the throttle body is, same with the iac sensor?

.....i just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter....

.....i dont have puddles in the air intake but is greasy and sometimes theres leaves and small twigs in it....where and how would i unclog the valve cover?

....how do check if the heat pipe from my exhaust manifold to my intake is installed?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok throttle body first .

locate your air filter box , from the air filter box on top is a big black hose about 4"in diameter , it connects directly to your throttle body . there are little ratcheting clamps on the hose you can undo them by hand or get a screw driver .

now that you have the hose off you will see down the throttle body were there is a solid brass plate about a inch into the unit , it will be full of grime most likely it should be super clean and shiny . so now you will get out some torx bits and remove the two sensors on the side and the three holding the unit down , there are cables on the throttle body you just sort of pull them off sideways , try not to wreck the gasket and perhaps go to your auto parts store and buy a throttle body gasket .

now that you have the unit off spray the crap out of it with break cleaner or my personal favorite mercury power tune (mercury boat shops) and scrub it with a small wire brush or tooth brush , spend time and get it really clean , clean everything use the hole can of cleaner . soak it and scrub it .

get everything really clean and put it back together , mark the cables and lines with tape or what ever you want

the heat pipe hooks right on to the front of the air box between the grill and air box it leads to the exhaust manifold which is under the intake manifold which the throttle body is located on top of .

you really don't need the heat pipe , i don't run it . but it helps in cold temps , it is probably broken some were its just flexible heat pipe .

if the air filter has sort of black oil on parts of it the valves are plugged on top of the valve cover (the top of the engine , there is two pipes that go from it to the air box ( one is about an inch in diameter the other 1/4" ) you unhook the hoses and twist the pipe on the top of the valve cover then spray the crap out of the little pipe you pulled out and run a piece of wire through it .

if you still are hazy i can go take pictures and circle stuff . i just will have to borrow a camera from my sister .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok picture time .

throttle body location ,

actual throttle body

iac

iac port (clean that crap out its your real problem )

the pipes to clean on your valve cover

and my dirt bike
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot...you be helpin me a lot, if you wanna take pics it would be a much easier and stressless time for me.....but i dont think ill need it, it would just make my life easier.....thank alot you really be helpin Very Happy
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pics, do you think its possible the entire iac needs replacement, or just a thorough cleaning?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally iac's don't go bad all that often, they usually need a good cleaning every 10-15k miles or so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not that good with this stuff but if that does not fix it it could be this the crank shaft sensor. I had the sane thing happen to TJ once could not fix it took it to the deal in the end it cost me 150.00. hopw you got it worked out
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the crank position sensor can mess your vehicle up a bit if its broken or breaking .

clean the iac and see if it works better , if it doesn't i would buy a new one . but cleaning it is basically free .
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought a new Crankshaft position sensor but the Jeep guy at the shop said it was crap and i should put the old one back in cuz its prolly still good...

....i just bought it from Smothers, it does look cheaply made, at least compared to the original one that was in there......

should i put the old one back in?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the resistance of it with a digital multimeter or ohm meter .

personally the cps breaks and it doesn't run , no b.s half running , thats what i have herd from other people on here that it can be intermittent .

i wouldn't of changed it , just clean the TB and IAC . and see how it runs , clean those vents to , check for broken vacuum lines or ones that have popped off . there is a little hose going from the intake manifold up to almost the hood line under the windshield you will see a green plug thats your MAP sensor the line should be hooked up they have been known to pop off .
Funky Fresh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already checked the map sensor, i tried to blow through it and it was kinda difficult to blow through, should it be easy to blow through?

im prolly gonna clean the valve tomorow, ill tell ya how it goes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: