Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: 2nd Gear Reply with quote

I have a '90 Cherokee and I'm wondering how to put it onto 2nd gear. It's a 2-door, I-6, 4x4. I've had it for about 6 months now and still can't figure it out. It took me 2 weeks to figure out how first gear worked, now I'm no to second gear. There are a few hills that I go down were I live that would be way easier to go down in 2nd. 1st is too slow and 3rd is to fast. Thanks for all your help.

PS - No. It's isn't a 5-speed.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its near impossible to simply lock into a specific gear with an auto. if there is pressure on it in either way it will shift to where less work is needed to proceed. Im not sure how youd be able to do this. Maybe if you put a shift kit into the trans you can select the gear a little easier.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't select it at all. On the gear indicators, it has 1-2, 3 and Drive. In the 1-2, it only stays in first gear no matter how fast i go. In 3, its like havind a 3 speed trany. All previous gears work, just doesnt shift into overdrive. I can shift into 1st, 3rd and 4th, just not specifically into 2nd. I was expecting 1-2 to do just that. Stay in 1st and if it needed to, shift into 2nd gear.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this! Scroll down toward the bottom of the page. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11558&highlight=aw4
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!! But is that all I could do? Jeeps from the factory can not change into 2nd gear? Even though the shift indicator says "1-2?"
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will shift into 2nd gear, at like 5500 - 6000 rpm. So if you want to force it into 2nd before the redline, simply keep it in 3rd until it shifts into 2nd, and then immediately put the shifter back into 1-2. It will stay in 2nd until your speed gets below 27 - 30mph, in which case it will kick down to first and lurch, or, if you're on ice it will make your back end slide out and cause a couple seconds of correctional steering. I know it's crappy, but that's how it works. But it works OK if you want your speed to be anywhere from 30 - 50mph, like downhill mountain driving.

There are ways to force your AW4 into specific gears. Some people put a switch which forces the thing to stay in 2nd gear. I have purchased a shifter from AWShifting that allows you to shift manually, kind of like a manu-matic. But, the problem is that with an AW4, the valves that shift the gears of the transmission are controlled by electric solenoids, whereas the valve body that causes compression braking are controlled by the manual position of the lever. So, when you use the manual shift buttons, you also have to make sure you have the shifter in the proper position. For example, if you have the shift lever in D, but the manual shift buttons in 2nd, it will be in 2nd gear for accelerating but have no compression braking unless you throw the shift lever into 3rd (The AW4 compression brakes in a gear lower than what the stick indicates... D compression brakes in 3rd, 3rd compression brakes in 2nd, etc.).

Anyway, my point is that while you can get shifters to do this, it gets very involved making sure you are in the correct gear and the correct lever position at the same time. I thought it would be convenient, but I have found I don't use it anymore because it isn't intuitive... driving becomes more of a headache than a pleasure. The whole reason I got the shifter was for the compression braking in the mountains, and that is what it doesn't do very well.
97XJ Jeeper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.awshifting.com/
Bretts kits are awesome. Send him a email, he will answer all your questions.
2 1/2" pipe cat back
Videos my XJ
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JeepXJJeeper
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method I suggested is very simple to use. If the desired results are not achieved, you simply remove the switch. It does not work like the awshifter posted above. You put the shifter in 1-2 and flip the switch. It locks the tranny in 2nd just as you wanted, Mexirican. To turn it off you flip the switch back. It can be activated or deactivated any time you want.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone feel that Brett's products from AWShifting don't work or are not high quality. They were easy to install, worked right the first time, and do exactly what he says they will do... shift your tranny manually. I haven't had any problems with his system in the year it's been installed. It's just that the compression braking thing gets a little involved when the system is turned on, that's all. But to anyone wanting manual capapbility on your AW4, check his website out.
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: