Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relocated Smog Legal Air Intake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Relocated Smog Legal Air Intake Reply with quote

I live in the state of California, and just got my 1998 Cherokee smogged. I got lucky and the smog guy I used allowed my home-brew air filter system to pass, even though it doesn't have a C.A.R.B. approval. "I know it is works, but you'd better take care of that" were his words. He could have failed my visual inspection... but he was cool.

Anyway, here is a picture of why any stock or aftermarket air filter system won't work in my engine compartment.

Sorry the air filter isn't even on in this picture. It is the only one I have of my engine compartment with the battery and welder installed, and I can't take another one because the air intake is off right now. The air filter I use is just an AEM connected to the stock tube and sits off to the passenger side over by the dipsticks. More of a "hot-air intake" than a "cold-air" intake, but the only reason I did it was to make room for the battery and welder.

So, since it is not really smog legal, does anyone have any ideas that would help me make this setup smog legal, yet fit under my hood in a different spot? The smog guy said that if I could use a system that had "C.A.R.B." approval or something but relocated it, it might be OK. Since it passed this time I have a couple of years to take care of it.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other questions that someone might be able to reply to...

1. Has anyone located an extra battery in the rear cargo area, and if so, do you have any pictures of how it worked?

2. Has anyone installed an under-hood welder in their Cherokee's engine compartment, and if so, where did you fit it and do you have pictures?
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an auxiliary battery in my cargo area. All you have to do is run wires like you are hooking up an amp. Run the ground wire to the floor and bolt it down, and just run a 4g cable from your main battery + to your aux battery +. The alternator will charge both batteries. It's a good idea to put in a battery isolator so that if you use your welder with the engine off it won't kill your main battery.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Fitting a bigger battery and Portable Dual Battery Reply with quote

From Go Jeep of Australia
Fitting a bigger battery
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBatteryTray.htm

Portable Dual Battery
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBatteryDual.htm
wafflesxoxo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of welder is that?
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Premier Power welder. I love it. Had some technical issues hooking it up, but since then it's been trouble free. We had to use it on the trail to weld/reinforce a bent control arm, and it worked perfectly. I would strongly recommend it to anyone wanting an on-board welder. It's a bit pricey, but comes with their high-amp alternator, the welding box, a throttle control (which I still have to install), and all the cables to install the system.

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: