Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nasty vibration at 50mph and up HELP!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepin419

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: nasty vibration at 50mph and up HELP!!! Reply with quote

i have a 95, 5 speed and once i hit 50mph nasty wib happens, in gear out of gear clutch in, still dose it. but if your on the gas it dose not do it at all. HELP ME
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your JEEP lifted? Sounds like Death wobble.

I assume if you slow back down it settles out and disappears?

Use search function to look for multitude of discussions on here about causes/cures for Death Wobble.

Basically, it is likely loose or worn components. My own experiences were always associated with loose TrackBar and Trackbar Drop Bracket.

When mfr suggests retightening everything couple hundred miles after Installation of suspension lifts I think they MEAN it!

Good Luck and let us know what you determine your problem is/was!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it tight vibration, more of a loose feeling wobble, or a audible whine?

Can you pinpoint whether it's coming more from the front or back of the vehicle?

If it is a tight vibration, the first area I would look would be the u-joints on your driveshaft(s). They are cheap to replace, so they would be a great place to start. But if it is the "death wobble" like jppilot61 is talking about, the symptoms will be different.

Can you give us a bit more specifics on the sound/feeling/location? We might come up with more ideas.
daniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to run TSLs and when they get worn out it happen then. Aslo if the jeep is out of alinement bad enough as well
jeepin419

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in the rear end. the front is all new, you can feel it in the stick. it only gose away if you slow down to 50 and under. it vibrates so bad that the back door ajars itself. i cant figure it out, what would cause vib, in the rear like that??
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this seams obvious, but is it possible that one or both of your rear wheels have thrown a balancing weight? Or have some build up of mud/ice/snow? Someone on this forum recently had a bad vibration like this and it turned out he had a build-up of crud on the rims. To get vibrations from the back end that are large enough to cause the rear hatch to unlatch, I can't imagine it would be gears, u-joints, or driveshaft problems. It sounds like a wheel/tire problem. Bad shocks could aggravate it.
jeepin419

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i found it, it was in the cv angle. it was set as a u-joint angle didnt know they were diff, so i shimed it not drives like a jeep should ha. thank you for all your help
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for my theories. Glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting the fix... it will help for next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: