Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAMN POWER STEERING!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: DAMN POWER STEERING!!! Reply with quote

Im in the middle of changing out my pressure and return line from my power steering and there is nothing but frustration. First, the return line has clamps on the that i think were crimped on. They look like regular C-clamps but are crimped at the top. They form a triangle where the crimp is. I am sure I have to cut them off and add c-clamps but I wanted to ask you guys first before i do that. 2nd, the pressure line wont budge. I soaked it in liquid wrench but still wont turn. I know I just have to bear down and get that one off. Dont mind that last statement. Im just ranting. The oil is getting into my bloodstream.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done the pump on my jeep but the clamps you talk about sound just like the type you put on cv boots . you need special pliers to crimp it on side cutters mess it up .

did your new return line come with the clamp .
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO clips with the new hose. Its just regular high pressure hose that they use for the return line. I looked a bit harder at the clamps and they are clamped at the top. As far as I can tell, they need to be cut off in order for me to remove the hose. There is no f-ing room in there to work either. Reminds me of working on my Moms Acura. ARG!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I've been able to get the power steering lines off (or tranny lines, etc) is with line wrenches. The pressure line usually comes off the pump fairly easily....but getting it off of the gearbox is usually a pain. Since you are replacing them (and if you don't want to invest in a set of line wrenches), I would just cut the line off close to the nut and put a 6 point socket on it...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think ill need to get the line wrenches you speak of. The pressure hose at the reservoir is a standard wrench and so it the fitting that goes to the gear box. The return line is what im messing with now but since it just got dark, ill have to save it for another day. I think im gonna cut the hose close to the fittings on the return so it'll be easier to mess with tomorrow. Hopefully i can get it all back together tomorrow night cause this is also my daily driver.
daniel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just doing thas same thig for the last 2 days. i bought new parts that were bad ended up going to the parts store more time then i rerally wanted too pain in the ass Finger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bust the clip off with a pair of side cutters . take it to the parts store and say i need one of these .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you use line wrenches so you don't round off the fitting , i would do what the phantom said if your having problems with it or you might end up using a pipe wrench or a cutting disk .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: