Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Senior Project - COMPLETE

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: My Senior Project - COMPLETE Reply with quote

Amazingly, I was able to get my teacher to "OK" a senior project idea that I proposed to him.

Here's the plan:

Develop and design an emergency ONE WEEK survival check list that would enable someone to live out of there car.

Purchase all necessary items mentioned on list.

Try to get everything to fit into a stock Jeep Cherokee, including myself, I have to sleep in it. A roof rack may be an option for extra storage.

Drive into the wilderness for ONE CONTINUES WEEK and test out the list.

Plus, I'm going to video document everything that I can myself.

The final product will be a (hopefully) 45-60 minute documentry about surviving out of a vehicle for one week incase of some sort extreme emergency.

I would like any feed back at all on the idea and if you have any suggestions on what to bring tell me! Obviously I know what to bring to survive and what to bring to get me out of a hole if that happens but if anyone has some handy trail items that would be great to bring along, tell me... I'm just looking for all and any ideas.

Thank you!

Tim Hallam - Weed CA

P.S. My school will pay for gas, food, and other small necessities such as shovels and things like that. They're also supplying the video camera, batteries, tripod, etc...

(2008/17/0Cool UPDATE:

Final plan,

I'm goint with one of my friends who drives a '94 ZJ... He needs to do a Senior project too so we figured we'd just make it into a one week Jeep treck.

To make the school happy I'll be coming up with "Developing" the food, water and clothing "check list" and my friend will be coming up with the technical, vehicle requirements check list.

Here are some photos of my Jeep. I think most of you are aware that this is the Jeep I just bought for dirt cheap that "needed the clutch".

Well, it didn't. I just put brake fluid in the cyclinder, pumped the pedal a few times and it works great! I have a clutch!

Here are some photos of my friends (Larry's) Jeep. He's the one who will be doing the project with me.

By the time we actually "go wheelin" (April 12-19-0Cool his Jeep will have a 6" lift and 32"s on it.

Last edited by Tim Hallam on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 gerry cans of gas
5 gerry cans of drinking water
roll of toilet paper
box of wetnaps
case of dinty moore
psp so you aren't licking the windows by the end of the week.

that or just ask the kid on american idol - he's been living out of a ford tempo for two years...
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more like two, 5 gallon Jerry cans of gas.

That should get me about 100 miles more of off-road driving than the stock fuel tank.

I saw somewhere that for every one full day a person should have 2 gallons of fresh water with them on the trail. So, obviously that would be 14 gallons of drinking water for one week.

I don't think I would drink that much but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have that much for other than just drinking.

Toilet paper, check...

Dinty Moore... I'm sure my diet will consist mostly of canned foods for that week. Nothing wrong with that.

Wetnaps... Good idea. Didn't think of that.

"Just ask the kid on American Idol - he's been living out of a Ford Tempo for two years..."

I'm pretty sure I'd get my shit together enough to at least move into a nice dome tent after the first month of staying in a Tempo...

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Tim
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my head....
a tarp
ax
shovel
sleeping bag
rain gear
first aid kit
flashlight
battery powered radio
extra batteries
matches

I'm sure there's more - just rambling. Wink
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box of wetnaps (baby wipes) that quadna71 recommends is the most useful camping tool I have discover in 33 years. You won't believe you ever used to use anything else for so many years. Almost as brilliant as fire.

I don't know what you mean by "drive out into the wilderness," but if you are doing some harder 4wheeling alone far away from civilization, a winch would be advisible. If it's just dirt roads then I guess it doesn't matter... unless it rains a lot, you slide off the trail, you hear banjos playing in the distance...

Remember the story of Aron Ralston: Went hiking alone... got his arm wedged under 800lb. boulder... eventually broke his radius and ulna and cut off his arm with a cheap pocket knife to escape. Moral of the story is, an emergency locator beacon could be helpful.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring some women!!!

Or lots of KY !!!

jo

rofl
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: BUILDING A STORAGE DECK IN THE CARGO AREA Reply with quote

From Sticky: XJ Tech write up from above
BUILDING A STORAGE DECK IN THE CARGO AREA
http://www.jeepin.com/features/cargobed/index.asp
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Nice set up Reply with quote

Rear Cargo Area Accessories By DavidísXJ
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523112/5
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and links. I appreciate it.

Tim
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that clutch...

Bring along a lot of extra fluid and check the level often. I had an '87 that leaked fluid out of the cylinder, and as long as I kept the fluid level topped off, I never had any problems with it in the 2 years I owned it.
gopher383

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lighter fluid, first aid kit, spam, fishing gear, and a .357 revolver.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area circled in red is where we'll spend the one week.

It's mostly manzanita bushes and old rocky fire roads that this landscape consists of. There are a few massive lava flows that can be seen in this satellite photo.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Weed, CA on the map. You don't exactly have to drive far to be in the middle of butt-stinking nowhere do you?
rockjock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could save alot of space and cargo weight by taking a water purifier (or Fiter and iodine tabs) along with a couple one gallon jugs to fill as needed with water. I'd also consider dried foods like rices, beans, pastas, etc. they take up less space, weigh less and can be made into a multitude of tasty things with a little creativity.

I only mention the wieght concerns because loading your jeep down to much has the potential to become a problem all by itself. Water weighs about 7.5lbs./ gallon and canned foods weigh about 1lb/ can.

20 gallons of water and canned food for a week is roughly 200lbs of unnecessary weight, plus whatever else you intend to take including another 150lbs of fuel.

Remember survival isn't about taking alot of stuff it's about taking the right stuff.

P.S. I agree with who ever suggested chicks they provide plenty of entertainment and help keep you warm at night.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
I looked up Weed, CA on the map. You don't exactly have to drive far to be in the middle of butt-stinking nowhere do you?

Haha... No sir.

Weed is 60 miles from any town of significants. Shasta, Klamath and Modoc National Forests circle every inch of of the town.

Our population is pushing 3,000.

The area high lighted on the map above is only 3-4 miles North of my house on Highway 97.

There are numerous other areas everywhere around here to go off-roading. We choise that area because there's generally less or even no snow pack in April.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: