Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Efficiency and More Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopher383

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Fuel Efficiency and More Power Reply with quote

Are there any companies that make an ECU for the 00' Cherokee that can be changed for fuel economy for daily use and then be tuned for more torque and horsepower? Also I've heard that something can be plugged into the diagnostic port to chance the pre-existing ECU's format on these areas, if so is what is it and whare can I aquire one?
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes companies like Diablo, and Superchips have nice little plug and play units that reprogram the ecu temporarily. Unfortunately only one company offers on for XJ's that I've seen, and I didn't like what I read about it.

I installed the Superchips on my mother's 98' Cummings diesel and the different was amazing! Throttle response, towing capacity, and fuel economy went up a lot!

I just wish a company like Superchips or Diablo would design a Cherokee version...

So to answer your question yes their is a plug and play unit for XJ's, I just forgot the name of it, but you can find it with google...

Anthony
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edge makes one , but its a Cherokee not a diesel . with a 5.9 cummins you can just put a marine ecm on it and get 850 ftlbs of torque and 400 horsepower , with out changing injectors . thats not even trying that engine will put out more power then you can shake a stick at , i have a 03 and im working on getting another one for a project .

you might pull 5 horsepower with the best programmer out there on a stock xj and next to no economy gain .

no cheap power in a jeep . you want power you need a positive displacement air pump or to stroke it , remember no replacement for displacement . or a hesco aluminum head but then your into a hole different ball game .

even if you put on 1000$ of dollars of exhaust systems intake systems spacer's and hi-flow gadgets the computer isn't going to change the power much . sorry .

even if diablo made a chip for a Cherokee it wouldn't do much , its pretty locked into its current form . nothing wrong with the edge one its just all they could really get out of the thing .
rockjock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet makes an ECU Chip for the XJ, but your not going to see any increase in fuel efficiency. With a stock intake and exhaust I doubt if you´ll see any power improvements either. They do make two version though, Stage I and a Stage II chips depending how much additional engine modifications you intend to do. They´re available through Summit and I think 4WD hardware and I think they´ll run about $100 or so to get.
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockjock wrote:
Jet makes an ECU Chip for the XJ, but your not going to see any increase in fuel efficiency. With a stock intake and exhaust I doubt if you´ll see any power improvements either. They do make two version though, Stage I and a Stage II chips depending how much additional engine modifications you intend to do. They´re available through Summit and I think 4WD hardware and I think they´ll run about $100 or so to get.

And they're pretty much useless. I own the Stage I and it did nothing for performance except make my wallet lighter. The caveat is they actually say to get the best performance with those chips, you need to modify your air intake, thermostat, and exhaust (well duh!!!!), but after you've already done that you've reaped the benefits of more torque and horsepower without ever having to attach the ^&*% chip. The Stage II supposedly takes all this into account and is "more beneficial" with all the above mods, but to be honest I think even THAT is a waste of money for marginal gain.

Your best bet is to rebore your throttle body to > 60mm (can be done in a machine shop for less $$$ than buying one outright), fab up a conical intake or more preferably a cold air/snorkel system, and replace the exhaust with something that has a little more throughput. I have Flowmaster in mine, but there are other mufflers that work just as good if not better. Might also look into replacing your cat, but I'm not sure what the best ones are on the market. You can replace your headers too, but if they are in good working order then there's no real need to unless you're looking to squeeze out every ounce of performance.

rockjock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Drake your a rocket scientist! I said that you would see no efficiency benefit and without other modifications there would be no power benefit either, DA!

The ECU does nothing to improve JACK, it simply modifies the electronics that manage the engines combustion resources and adjusts programing of said management. Without additional modifications to the engine, ie: Intake, Exhaust, and throttle body the OEM chip already programs the systems for the most efficient use of fuel and power (atleast in theory).

As external modification are added ie: a new high flow air intake the fuel/oxygen mix needs to adjusted to aquire optimum performance. Same goes for a header, throttle body spacer..... and so on. The purpose of th echip is to make the appropriate modifications depending on what modification have been made hence a stage I or stage II chip option.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the forum rules and knock it off.

Quote:
==> Keep it civilized. Good natured jostling of each other is fine, but no pissing matches. Everyone has opinions, and if you disagree with someone please feel free to voice your disagreement but do so in a respectful manner.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockjock wrote:
Gee Drake your a rocket scientist!

Screw it. Since he can't spell, I think I'll ban his ass too. no
rockjock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Phantum. I just offered the original person info. on the chips and where they can be found. Didn't really see the need to be attacked by one of the buddies in your off road club for initially stating what he repeated and then ridiculed me for.

P.S. 3TJ remember this:
==> Keep the swearing to a minimum. Certain words will be filtered out automatically...so try to refrain from using extremely "colorful" language.

If your going to bad mouth people for spelling errors it seems there are alot of people ahead of me
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if he's in my club or not...his post on how he wasted his own money on a ECU chip is not attacking anyone but himself.

For the last time, knock it off. Either get back on topic or leave the thread alone. That goes for everyone.

Final warning.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm paying for the bandwidth and you're not, do you really want to try me slick? no
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockjock, the post I made was not a slight on you, but an experience post I made to illustrate the uselessness of the Jet chip. I worded it a little more strongly than usual to drive home the point that it was a wasted investment on my part, and I didn't want to see anyone else make the same mistake I did. It's just as important to reflect on our own mistakes as much as our accomplishments to help those with such questions.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but it was not meant towards you.

kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears the rule of thumb is to listen to somebody who thinks they know the answer opposed to somebody who actually has it installed. shock

The big reason all that nonsense works on the big rigs is because on a diesel, the engines come from the factory pushing less power to protect the engine and transmission. The power freaks have come up with this power modules so you can squeeze it out. Of course in the end whats going to happen to the diesel?

I just wish most people would stop looking at the diesel and thinking they can do the same with a normal gas engine. Sure you can squeeze some out of the larger engines, but if its a 4.0L forget about it. Its not worth it.
rockjock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Drake, accepted, I may have taken it personally because of the quote followed by the post, IDUNNO!

Anyway, I´m sorry you´ve had the experience that you did with the Stage I chip, I don´t know what your mods are or if it matters.

I installed the Stage II chip following a header, high volume intake, TBS, Accel supercoil, Distributor, and spiral core plug wires.

I´ve been very happy! Did I gain power from the chip? No! I gained power independantly from each of the upgrades to the engine via electronics breathability and exhaust. What I did gain from the installation of the chip was an improved power distribution and fuel efficiency improvement after the other upgrades and I actually recovered a little fuel economy. After the engine work and 31X10.5's I was down to about 11.5mpg in the city and 14-15mpg highway. With the chip my fuel economy was about 12.5-13mpg city, and 17.5-19mpg highway.

That said at an average of 14000mi./year and say 18.5mpg highway I've reaped a savings of about 176.25gallons of fuel savings/year from prior to the change, or $528.72 annually (assuming gas at $3.00/gal.) in extra cash to play with on my jeep or whatever.

Those are the facts from my own personal experience the chip was installed roughtly 18month ago. The ECU chip regardless of OEM or aftermarket has but one purpose, to optimize engine efficiency and distribution of power accross the power band. No matter how I look at it I spent about $150.00 to upgrade my ECU and optimize the mods I made to my engine. In return, the new nitro shocks, steering stabilizer, coil spacers and Pro Comp leaf springs are paid for out of money I could have spent on Fuel.

P.S. having just put 32X11.50 MT's on my truck my fuel econ. is back to about 11mpg city and 16.5mpg highway. Oh Well!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had bad experience with Jet Chip.. I went through 2 of them before I just took it out and ordered a computer from Mopar Performance..

I would hate to think I didnt get the full benifit of the Jet chip cause my ZJ is not modified enough.. rofl

I dont know if M P still offers ECU's but they used to.. Might want to check into that...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: