Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap lift (1")

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Cheap lift (1") Reply with quote

I have a 1990 2-door Cherokee with what I think is a 3" lift. I am running 32x11.5x15 BFG AT's and they rub whenever I go out. I am looking for a quick 1" or so lift that can stop the rubbing. I have trimmed off the front plastic thing from under the bumper and also trimmed the fender flares a bit to but it still rubs. I've heard of some ppl talking about spring spacers and extended shackles. As far as I can tell, there are no other modifications to the Jeep except the little I've done, IE - Removed the rear sway bar, very little trimming. I've only had the Jeep for just under 6 months and they are new to me. I am used to 60s and 70s muscle cars so vehicles that spin all 4 tires is like learning a new language. Tanks again for you help.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.quadratec.com/products/76057_801.htm
Econo 1-3/4" lift that actually only gains 1-1/2" max

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV5/xjshackles.asp
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/spacerz.html
T&T makes a 1" boomerang shackle, and you could couple that with the 1" coil spacer that Kevin's Offroad sells.

This will lift it a little. Keep in mind that if you already have 3" of lift, going to 4" - 4-1/2" is the line you cross at which you will need things like a dropped pitman arm, SYE (slip-yoke-eliminator), etc. to keep your steering and driveshafts in alignment. 5" and above they are a necessity, 3" and below they are not. So anywhere around 4" it is a toss-up.

The thing is with Cherokees is that if your tires rub with a 3" lift, they will rub with a 4" lift too unless you extend the bumpstops. You may also want to think about removing the flares, trimming the fenders, and possibly adding some aftermarket flare to prevent all the rubbing.[/url]
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they rubbing the top of the wheel wells or rubbing the flares? It sounds like they are rubbing the flares. If that's the case, it's a backspacing issue...the wheels stick the tires out too much.

However, adding some bumpstop might also fix the problem. Assuming you move up 1" in tire size for every 1" of lift, you should also add 0.5" of bumpstop. So at 3" of lift and 32's, you should add 1.5" to the bumpstops.

I would start with a hockey puck on each side to do the trick in the front. You can just slide them in between the coils and glue them in place using an outdoor adhesive (roof/gutter sealant works well). You can always add a second later on if one is not enough. For the rear, I would make a set of spacers for the existing bumpstops. All you need is about a foot of 1.5" hollow square bar, 4 - 5/16" x 2" bolts, and a drill with a 3/8" bit.

That would have the following advantages:
- properly tune the current suspension system
- only cost you around $20-30 bucks total
- you don't have to deal with the "gotchas" of adding more lift
- aside from removing the four bolts for the rear bumpstops, you have almost nothing to take apart

...or you can spend a ton of money on spacers and shackles...and possibly end up with driveline and/or steering issues. Oh yea...and you'll still have to extend the bumpstops. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rockjock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 32X11.5 BFG´s cannot be run on rims without backspacing. They have a 31.8¨ O.D. and a 11.4¨section width. Even 31X10.5 will rub on rims without backspacing. Therefore, if your rubbing in the wheel well, your also rubbing with any significant steering or turns. If you replace the rims with those that are backspaced your definitely going to rub on the body flares and or the metal edge of the fender if you don´t lift the jeep. Replacing the bump stops is prudent but failing to raise the body to handle the tires only reduces articulation and limits the performance of the jeep off road. raise the jeep add the drop pinon, slip yoke and bump stops OR put on a smaller tire. Just my two cents considering I just went through this little venture. P.S. make sure your shocks are appropriate for the additional lift or replace them also.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a rim that doesn't have any backspacing...it's more a matter of how much or how little. Stock on a Cherokee is 5.25" (and with 32's on stock rims, they would rub the LCA's on turns). In lifted applications (and for tires up to 12.5" wide), I would recommend rims with 4.5"...but it all depends on exactly where the tires are rubbing.

I'm not saying that extra bumpstop should be added to stop the rubbing. Rather, I'm saying that there should be the correct amount of bumpstop to make sure the suspension is properly tuned. With 3" there should be sufficient lift to run 32's. So, if they are rubbing in the wheel wells, adding more lift will not solve the problem. Even with 4" of lift and 32's, without proper bumpstops the suspension will still stuff to it's stock limit...and the tires will continue to rub inside the wells.

If they are rubbing the flares on the other hand, then another inch or two might solve the problem (key word 'might'). But, again, it depends on the amount of backspacing on the rims. So in that case getting rims with more backspacing (to shift the tires in a little more) would be more effective. Another thing that could be done that is an inexpensive solution is to cut the fenders back a little and drill new holes to raise the flares an inch or so.

A combination of these is the way I would go. I would cut back the fenders, raise the flares and make sure that the proper amount of bumpstop is in place. Those are both cheap and easy fixes that can be done and they might just solve the problems. If not, then either look at adding another inch of lift or getting new rims with a little more backspacing.

If adding lift does turn out to be the answer, another option for the rear is to find some S10 leaf springs in a boneyard. Take apart the packs and cut the eyes off the main leafs. Then add them to your packs as an AALs. The S10 springs by themselves will give an XJ around 3" of lift. So while they won't add any arch to your springs, they will still add about an inch of lift....plus they won't sag overtime like most AAL's do. Then just throw some spring spacers in the front. That way you've at least saved some money on adding the lift and can put it towards any steering or driveline problems...if you develop any that is.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Im thinking about trimming the fenders anyways. It rubs mostly in the front. The front flares are a bit messed up closest to the door but only minor scuffing. I am running some American Racing rims. 15x8 i think. Id put some pix on but i dont know how to. There is no rubbing when i turn at all. I had to do some trimming on things in the front and removed two Y shapped brackets that looked like they were supporting the black plastic under the bumper. I was wanting to add the 1' lift to elominate the very slight rubbing that happens with daily driving. If i go over a speed bump while turning, it rubs. The rubbing is very minor. Its my OCD that is making me want the lift. So its not really a huge deal.

Last edited by mexirican on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockjock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a rim that doesn't have any backspacing...it's more a matter of how much or how little. Stock on a Cherokee is 5.25" (and with 32's on stock rims, they would rub the LCA's on turns). In lifted applications (and for tires up to 12.5" wide), I would recommend rims with 4.5"...but it all depends on exactly where the tires are rubbing.

Phantum - Sorry if my post seemed arguementative It was not intended to be and I'm not disputing your point about the bump stops. (my bad on the back spacing I'd always thought it was from the outside back) I agree about the Lower control arms, 31's will rub on them with stock rims, add an inch to height and width and the issue amplifies. The point I wanted to make is that bump stops increase alone is only half the solution if off road performance is an issue. Off road the loss of wheel travel is going to limit the jeeps capabilites, right.
Either way it doesn't really matter to me it's not my jeep. I just wanted to aplogize if I offended you regarding my prior post
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I deside to add the 1" of so in lift, what shocks should i get? There are Rancho RS 5000s in the front and Rancho 5129s in the back. Can these handle the added lift. I am also in the process of fabbing a swaybar disconnect for the front only, since i just pitched the rear sway bar.
gopher383

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop some 2x4 to the size you want and go to town, It's cheap and fun. A buddy of mind did that to his 95 Pathfinder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: