Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk everything there is about LOCKERS!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Let's talk everything there is about LOCKERS!! Reply with quote

So, lockers, always a subject of great debate, but lets face it, there are different kinds and different brands and folks will make uneducated choices about what locker is perfect for them, so let's help those folks out (you know, folks like me)... I have great interest in lockers, especially after watching the install last weekend..

So please post your experiences with brands and types and also let us know recommendations for daily drivers to hardcore offroaders with trailers Mr. Green Stuff like, which type of locker for the front works best, for the rear, etc.. TIA
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best lockers by far are selectable lockers(you can turn them on or off). I dont own selectable lockers because of the price($600). If money is an important matter, Lockrites work very well, these I use. Also, Detroits are pretty popular and durable for hardcore wheeling.
Crazy

AND.....everyone has different opinions, some might dislike my choices, but I am just speaking from personal experience.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far with this TJ, I've had open front/trac-loc rear, No-slip front/trac-loc rear, and currently No-slip front/True trac rear. When I got the TJ, I thought trac-loc was great, but as soon as I discovered that there's more to wheeling than just old coal mining roads with the occasional hill climb, I found the trac-loc to be weak at best. More often than not, I'd have to slightly engage the e-brake to get any kind of engagement outta it.

So, since the front was open, my next step was to add a No-slip to the D30. This is a "lunch box" locker which simply means it installs into the existing carrier. Full carrier lockers replace the open carrier whereas these replace the spider gears in the existing carrier. This is what made this option most attractive to me because it meant do-it-yourself installation and is a bit cheaper than the full carrier replacements. The locker is invisible in 2WD and the improved performance on the trail was phenominal. On the road in 4WD it is very tolerable once you acclimate your driving to compensate for it wanting to pull to the one side a bit. I feel this has been by far the best "bang for your buck" mod I've done.

I wanted to address the rear, but didn't want to until I could regear. I found a real good deal on a barely used True trac and grabbed that. Even though I already had a limited slip in the rear, I wanted this one because it was nite and day from the trac-loc. This one is gear driven rather than with clutch packs making it more prone to engagement. So far I've been really please with the performance. As long as both tires are on the ground, it seems to be working all right. I figure that the front is more prone to catch air, so the lockers up there and the LSD is in the rear where gravity should generally keep the tires on the ground making it more effective.

Basically, I'm running the most economical setup that will work for me offroad and not be a pain in the ass onroad. Hopefully in the future there'll be two selectable lockers in the diffs so I can have the best of both worlds like Crazy was talking about.

Okay, I'm done typing Mr. Green .
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two I would like to hear the most about are the Eaton ELocker (electric activated) and the ARB pnuematic (air activated) systems. The ELocker is fairly new and only appears to have applications for the D44 and bigger.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run a detroit rear (loved it), spool rear (loved it) and detroit electracs front and rear (absolutely hated them). I removed my electracs to put a spool in the rear and a detroit in the front. I have selectable hubs in the front, so If I unlock a hub, I'm no longer locked. Not a street jeep, so it will do fine.

To find out about my problems with electracs, see this thread:
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=254
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a big fan of arbs just because i've had enough trouble with the stupid vaccume lines in jeeps and they barely do anythimg. i would really like ti if OX was still aroudn or the electracs didn't suck as much as they do because then its a very simple task to engage them. Its not hard to pull a cable and you already have 12V in your jeep

I have the crap-lok in my jeep, and it does help out some as long as theres some pressure on the tires but lift a tire and its just spins

when i replace my rear end im gonna try to get a detroit or something similar for teh front when ever i decide on that i woudl prefer a selectable just to make things easier

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a no slip rear and a lockright front.

As much as I love lockers, and they have their job I cant express how much one should not start out with them. If you throw lockers in a rig that you have not learned to drive you will just get yourself into trouble.. Start small learn the limits, then add one locker... then another... it makes for a progressive increase in challenges..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DozerDan wrote:

As much as I love lockers, and they have their job I cant express how much one should not start out with them. If you throw lockers in a rig that you have not learned to drive you will just get yourself into trouble.. Start small learn the limits, then add one locker... then another... it makes for a progressive increase in challenges..

I think we were just talking about this, weren't we Wink ? I agree though. It hasn't been the most cost efficient way to build my Jeep up, but I've been able to learn a lot more as I went along instead of just jumping right into a semi-tall lift and 35's with lockers and crap. Look at a guy like Joe that can wheel just about anywhere at PAP and has been doing it open for years. Lockers are great, but at the same time time can make a bad driver look good....and sometimes even dangerous because they don't know what they're getting into.
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also second what these guys said. I learned on 32's unlocked, and slowly built up from there. Not inexpensive, but it helped me learn alot about picking lines and off camber situations. Some will say I am still learning Embarassed rofl
Crazy
pik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a Detroit in the my AMC 20 for two yrs. now. I put a set of one piece axles in my '83 CJ7 when I did the install. I loved the traction that I had and could defanitely feel a big difference. My wife , this past Christmas, got me a Lock-Right for the front dana 30. (I love my wife) The difference was incredible. I saw twice the difference with the front locked!!! Installation was a snap;took all of 1.5 hr. I recommend locking the front axle (if allready locked in the rear) over any other mod. I can now crawl up and over obstacles that need work before. I have had no problems with the lock-right. I have only locked the hubs off-road. I can't speak for pavement characteristics. Just thought I'd give my experience and opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: