Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM V6 2.8 - Engine Swap Ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: GM V6 2.8 - Engine Swap Ideas? Reply with quote

Just planning ahead...

Does anyone have some ideas on what to replace my GM V6 2.8 with?

My current engine only has 30k on it so I'm EXPECTING to get quite a bit more life out it.

However, I eventually would like to replace it with a more powerful, more reliable, longer lasting engine.

The 2.8 is enough power for my Jeep in its stock form. But of course, someday, I'd like to add a 3" lift and 31's to my XJ. From what I've heard, the 2.8 will definitely be under-powered for those modifications. Plus... It's kind of a crappy, limited life engine anyway. I have a Toyota with a 22r engine that has 176k on it and it runs absolutely great. The V6 2.8 in my Jeep only has 1/6th the miles of my 22r and it only runs about 3/4th as good.

I don't want to replace it with anything too powerful for the DANA 35's or my transfer case, etc... To handle. But, I would like something that can really kick some ass off-roading. Fuel economy is always a consideration too, especially with gas being $3.57/gallon where I live. I'd like to get at least 20 highway miles per gallon.

It's always a plus to find an engine that will replace the GM 2.8 fairly easily. I'm not looking to completely rebuild my engine compartment.

I'd appreciate any ideas or comments.

Thank you -

Tim
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont get something that is kick ass that wont murder the dana 35 .

get a jeep 4.0 or a ford 5.0 h.o out of a mustang , or f150 . if you want simple get a better straight six that is actually shorter and has a bigger displacement known as the 300 6 ford , way more torque .

personally a v6 is a waste of space , at least a straight six has torque .

a chrysler 8.25 is pretty cheap at a wrecker and will take the 5.0 h.o or get a for 8.8 fine one of the two with the right gears and it wont be much more then re-gearing the dana 35 .
dallen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade up for a 5 spd with I-6. So much fun.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into that 300 6 and a different rear end... Thanks Brad.

Tim
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the Jeep 4.0's won't fit very well into a pre- '87 Cherokee's engine conpartment. Is this true?

Tim
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m trying to remember where I heard this. I think it may have been on the Novak Adapters site. [Browses] Aha! Here it is; http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm:

Quote:
With the change to the 4.0 engine, the engine bay of the Stage II Jeep XJ was changed in 1987, including small changes to the firewall, inner fenders and most significantly the front clip. This is one of the key facts that individuals who don't care for large levels of pain and expense should consider, and not make the mechanically dangerous assumption that a 4.0L should swap into a Stage I Cherokee. We at Novak have fielded many a sad call from people who have tried it hoping for a much easier conversion, further supporting one of our leading maxims, that "Jeep parts are often the hardest parts to swap into Jeeps."

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines_general.htm might also be of interest. It is a list of engines that the Novak people consider good candidates for swapping into a Jeep. Note that this page is not XJ specific, and some of the choices are obviously aimed at older Jeeps, CJ5's and even CJ3's.

--
Regards,
Kári.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks man! I appreciate the links...

I learned a lot!

Tim
Darren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Novak site is a great place to start your research. I have it booked marked.

Something for you to consider.

The GM 3.4 Crate engine is pretty much a direct swap for the 2.8. They use the same block. If you don't want to spend $1,800 for a crate engine, look for a 91-94 Firebird/Camero (not exactly sure on the years, in that range) with the 3.4. Those engines are also a direct swap.

I'm currently having my 2.8 replaced with a 4.3. I'll let you know how it goes. (My mech is really slow.)
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,

Thanks Darren, keep me updated on how your engine swap works out.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one kill me for asking this....

But.. Is it possible to put any type of Toyota engine in there?

Tim
Darren

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With time and money, anything is possible.

That 3.4 swap would be the easy one to do. Everything else ramps up depending on what you want to do.

GM Swaps are generally easier because the aftermarket has plenty of options for you.

If you can fabricate on your own, then it is just a matter of how much time you want to put into the project. If you can't fabricate, then is it s question of how much you want to spend to make it work.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can fabricate. I'm Cal-State certified but regardless of that. I think going with another GM engine would be best.

What are the basic specs on the 3.4 engine?

Torque, horse power, fuel consumption?

Is that engine another 60 degree block?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The Novak site is a great place to start your research. I have it booked marked.

Something for you to consider.

The GM 3.4 Crate engine is pretty much a direct swap for the 2.8. They use the same block. If you don't want to spend $1,800 for a crate engine, look for a 91-94 Firebird/Camero (not exactly sure on the years, in that range) with the 3.4. Those engines are also a direct swap.

I'm currently having my 2.8 replaced with a 4.3. I'll let you know how it goes. (My mech is really slow.)

The only problem being with the 2.8 to 3.4 swap is that the 2.8 is externally balanced while the 3.4 is internally balanced, so the existing clutch would have to be terminated to comply with the perfectly flat flywheel of the 3.4, or youd have to swap a LOT of parts to make it work. I had a website featuring this swap but I deleted it off of my bookmarks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: