Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on locking a Dana 30

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Questions on locking a Dana 30 Reply with quote

This is on a 97 XJ. I purchased the jeep and my first drivetrain mod was to install a chrysler limited slip in the rear end. I am considering either locking or putting another limited slip in the front end. Can anyone give me advice on what unit to use or if I should lock or use another limited slip. This is a partial daily driver that really won't be seeing a lot of offroad activity. I just don't want to get stuck when I do go offroad.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it is at stock height on stock tires? Do you have plans to lift it and regear? The reason I ask is that oversize tires and low gearing on a D30 exposes a problem with housing flex. So I'm not a big fan of using auto lockers with anything over 32's and gears 4.11 or taller.

Having said all that, I ran a powertrax locker in mine for about 18 months. I was generally happy with it. The only reason it came out was because the OX's and 4.56's went in and the 33's went on.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Franko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is to put a OME 2in lift on it and 30in tires. Did you have any issues with understeering or snow driving with the front locker?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, I had no problems. I could feel the locker in the steering wheel when going through gentle corners....essentially as it cycled between engaged and disengaged.

I do not recommend an auto locker for driving in snow. Mine would tend to slide the nose in corners on the snow....essentially because both wheels were slipping and momentum would cause it to push. It would catch once I backed off the gas....or popped it back in 2WD. However, we don't get all that much snow in the southeast (I'm originally from the northeast...what they close schools for down here is a dusting where I come from), so it was not a big deal to me.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Franko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you think about the detroit Truetrack? Its a limited slip unit.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truetrack is a geared limited slip...as opposed to the clutch packs that are used in most LSD's. One of the guys I wheel with (StreetDoc, also on this board) runs them and they work pretty well. At the end of the day though, they are still an LSD and not a true locker. So don't expect it to perform offroad like a locker would...an LSD can leave you just as stuck as an open diff would.

Quote:
Franko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the assumption that I will be doing more road driving than offroad driving I have decided to go with the detroit trutrack. In an effort to find one online I have run into 2 parts numbers, 912A584, and 912A584. One of them is for 3.54 and lower and the other is for 3.73 and higher. Going by the sticky in the cherokee forum, I most likely have 3.55's, since I don't have the towing package. :sigh: So which part should I go with? BTH thanks for all the help.
yourownself

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do a lunchbox locker with a posi lock, so long as you have a disco axle.
i dn't remember for sure, but you probably have 1 piece axle on a 97.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: