Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf spring bushings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockjock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Leaf spring bushings Reply with quote

I'm wanting to replace my leaf spring bushings and possibly my shackles but I'm having a heck of a time breaking the bolts loose. I've used a bunch of penetrating oil over the course of a week, and have tried breaker bars and an air gun with no luck. any thoughts out here?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly leave the front ones if they are not to bad .

with he backs get a breaker bar and 4 foot pipe or a sawzall , you will have to pound the hell out of the old bushings , forget about saving the bolts just cut them and buy new ones for 3$

i just burn the bushings out with a oxy-ac torch , you could probably do it with a propane torch to .

problem with the front bushing is something i ran into .i was running a 3/4" ratchet with a 4' pipe because i broke my snap on 1/2" anyway the nut is welded on the inside of the frame rail , well that piece of junk broke inside there and just spun so i had to cut a hole with a cut off die grinder and cut the bolt in three places with a sawzall then put in new bolts , took me a couple hours all in all .

if you want to take them out with a ratchet get a good one or a 3/4 " ratchet , go 1/4 turn forward and then go 1/4 turn backwards , to break the crap in the threads loose .

it was honestly not a fun day when that happened to me , i personally would of just not replaced the springs if i new it was going to be so stupid .
rockjock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was going to replace my bushing but after bradīs post I decided to go ahead and replace the entire leaf pack. I know alot of guys are saying just get a leaf from and S10 and so on, that's all fine, but I have a pair of Skyjacker Soft ride (lift) Leaf packs at my disposal. The problem is getting out the old bolts or remnants if I cut them out. It just seems like a lot of potentially unnecessary work.

What are your thoughts on cutting the bushing ends of the Skyjackers and inserting the entire pack under the OEM top leaf? It seems to me I'll get the benefit of the lift and the additional benefit of the extra leaf. The only uncertainty seems to be extactly how much lift.

The initial pack has an Superlift AAL inserted and it was at 2.5" but have been sagging. I'd like to get it up around 4". all thing considered the Skyjacker pack insert along with the extra leaf or two if necessary seems like it would get me there.

Some insight on this would be helpful.
rockjock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any help, my front end is at 3" and I have a pair of 1" spacers to insert on the front end as well to balance it out.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the situation. Are you saying the pack on your Jeep now has an aal? What size lift is the new pack?
rockjock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have the OEM pack and an AAL, I've got 2.5" of lift in the rear end. The new pack if installed as is would give me 3-4"depending on vehicle according the mfg.

I'm thinking about cutting the bushing loops off of the new pack and inserting them directly under the top leaf of the old pack and discarding the rest of the old pack.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would work. You would get 3-4" of lift. Personally, I would rather have the main leaf from the new pack bolted to the Jeep. You really should try getting the old bolts out, worst case you just cut the ends off, but it's definitely worth the effort to use the eyes on the new pack. The main leaf that's on the Jeep now will do nothing to add to lift, it's shot. The reason the main leaf is used with an S10 bastard pack is that the packs are different lengths, the eyes do not line up.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya try to take them out , but if your jumping on your 3/4" ratchet then its time to stop .
rockjock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

Iīll give it another shot. I may even cut the bolts out if I have the right drill bit with enough length to end of the front bolt out of the frame.

The change out is probably going to make for a long day I have a feeling.

Iīll submit a post and photos fo the process and jeep for anyone else who get ambitious. Itīll probably be next weekend.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to realize that is a grade 8 bolt , i think its 9/16 bolt (not head) cutting it took a long time with a sawzall i can't imagine drilling a hole through it and i don't know what that would accomplish a easy out would snap and you can't really re thread a bolt .

if it breaks the only way to go at it is to cut a hole below were the bolt threads in then just put a new nut up there and hold it with a wrench , it wont affect the strength of the uni-body . i should of done a write up when i did mine but i was so pissed off i just wanted it done . start friday after work , hopefully done by sunday .
rockjock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

Iīm not really looking forward to this! Thatīs why I was considering the alternative
rockjock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me Say Holly Crap!!

I spent 14 hours under my XJ (includes time from initial trip to part shop for bolts, U bolts etc.) this weekend.

After several hours of trying to break the spring bolts loose I finally gave up when my buddy and I both torqued on a breaker bar extended 2 ft with pipe and the truck body began to torque up off the jack stands.

I figured enough is enough, so I ended up cutting the bushing loops off the new leaf and inserting them under the OEM top leaf. They went in with a little work and banded together using the clamps supplied on the new leaf pack. Then I clamped the new pack to the old leaf and rebolted the center bolt in the leaf. The new leaf pack runs full length under the OEM link. the set up really seems to have worked out well.

When I lowered off the stands and measured I had 4" of new lift in the back but I ran out of time to insert the coil spacers. I'm going to try and do those this week Wed. then I'll post some photos.

Sorry I didn't add any pics of the process but once I got involved I lost interest in giving a crap about recording it, I just wanted to get it over with.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. I honestly want to know in case this is a common problem I need to know about if I am thinking of changing or working on the rear leaf packs or shackles.

Why couldn't you cut the old bolt heads off with a cut-off wheel on a grinder, drive them out with a drift-pin, and then replace them with new bolts?
rockjock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you on that except that my biggest concern was the bolt end into the unibody at the front of the leafs. I don't believe I could have drilled it as brad said or forced it through, leaving the only option to redrill the unibody relocating a new front bolt or use the top leaf section of the old pack. I chose the latter because it wasn't totally shot and the new pack provided 100% support. Redrilling a new anchor for the leaf pack was just less desireable to me in this case.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rears are easy the shackles that is . well not easy but not difficult by my standards .

the fronts are a pain , i cut mine with a sawzall on each side of the leaf back and then cut a hole in the uni-body (i will post a picture when its light out and i can take one ) and then removed the nut inside the uni-body that snapped off because its just welded to the inside of the uni-body .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: