Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear wheel bearing assembly?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Rear wheel bearing assembly? Reply with quote

Okay, so here recently I have had to replace both front wheel bearing assemblies because they were worn out. I am experiencing the same criteria with the rear passenger wheel as I did with both front bearings(sounds like metal on metal grinding and the pitch varys as I steer left and right...wheel bearing right?) Anyways, I have looked thru my Haynes manual and have found nothing on a rear wheel bearing assembly. Also the tech writeups on here show the front bearing replacement, but no rear. Does anybody know if there are wheel bearing assemblies in the rear or is it just serviceable bearings? and if so how do I replace it? Most likely it is just like the front bearings but im not sure.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know about your axle , but on my dana 35 they were pressed onto the shaft and my dana 35 c clip they were pressed into the housing .

what axle do you have ? the non-c-clip axle requires some skill on replacing the bearings . the c-clip just requires a brass hammer .

find out what axle you have and pull the shafts , check them for wear (the shafts , if the bearing has made marks in the shaft you will have to buy offset bearings (same price really)

i should of done a write up on both axles really , but im not changing bearings again when they only have 10,000 kms on them .
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...I have been told by a local jeeper that I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear end. But I know that the 8.25 and the Dana 35 c-clip were used in '97. So I am just going off of what he said. I know your going to say just look on the tab bolted to the diff. but yeah....the car is 11 years old so it is just a corroded piece of metal.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a sticky at the top of the Cherokee Forum!

Left=8.25 Right=D35

Either axle should be c-clip! Both have servicable bearings that are not attached to the axleshafts. Very easy to replace!
Pre '90 D35's were non c-clip!

97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orange, looks like I have the 8.25 rear end. As for whether they are servicable, I have found a few pics and it looks like the bearings are the same nonserviceable assembly as the front. Are you thinking differently? I could go pull my wheel and drum off but its too damn cold out right now!! Thanks, for all the input so far!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I feel like a huge dumb ass. Thanks, for the work I missed that when looking thru the Haynes.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you pretty much just pop it out and hammer in a new one . however i had one that was strangely tight took a couple minutes with a 5 lbs hammer to get it in . hasn't failed me yet though .

the non-c-clip axle comes with instructions on how to remove it the hard way when you buy the bearings anyway . easy way is with a cutting torch Smile
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of doing this at the same time.
From Jeep Horizon
Sticky: XJ Teck Writeup, From Above, By ThePhantum
REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSIONS ON
8.25 (these could also be used as reference for a D35 as well)
http://home.swbell.net/rriojas3/reardisk.html
http://cherokeekid5.tripod.com/zj_discs_on_a_xj.htm
http://geocities.com/dcpaschal/mitch.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: