Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone ever driven a 2wd xj?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djgbsbj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Has anyone ever driven a 2wd xj? Reply with quote

Just curious. If so do you know what kind it was.
________
marijuana vaporizer

Last edited by djgbsbj on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gold 1993 2dr 2WD Cherokee SE once. It was actually not too bad, but it had a knocking issue in the engine block. I didn't have the time to isolate so I sold it. Aside from a bad rocker arm it had some compression issues and blow-by, but nothing else was majorly wrong. Now I miss it. Crying or Very sad

Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question,

Yes, yes I have driven a 2X4 XJ.

What's the point of a gas eating vehicle without off-road capabilities to make up for it? (Although your 2.5L probably doesn't use much gas.)

By the way, any one who has a 4X4 XJ has obviously driven a 2X4 XJ since the 4X4 versions are usually only part time 4WD's.

You should go on a little off-road adventure with another XJ driver but do it with someone who has a 4X4 Jeep and see who does better.

Of course your 2X4 is fine for "driving"...

Have you every driven a 4X4 XJ?

Tim
djgbsbj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, my xj is gold, but its 1986 4dr.

Tim, you're right my xj does get good gas mileage. And it does go pretty good offroad. You posted the "zj in action photos" in the photo album. You quoted as doing a little wheelin' or something like that. Well, my 2wd will do all of that and more, as i have put it in worse places than that. Of coarse it won't do something such as "part 2 of AZ wheeling". I am merely pointing out that you can go offroad in a 2wd. And you said something on one post about having to put your jeep in 4wd to go up your driveway. Well if you leave a 4wd in 2wd it won't go as well as a plain old 2wd, because you have a lot more weight and you're not even putting it to use. But i have to be honest, i would like to have a 4wd, but a 2wd xj does good offroad.
________
vaporizer wholesale

Last edited by djgbsbj on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XJ is a 2wd, and it actually does very well in sticky situations with the tires I have. The only thing I've ever had a problem with are steep hill climbs. I've been wanting to convert it but I don't want to swap the tranny so screw it.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
My XJ is a 2wd, and it actually does very well in sticky situations with the tires I have. The only thing I've ever had a problem with are steep hill climbs. I've been wanting to convert it but I don't want to swap the tranny so screw it.

You shouldn't have to. Most trans that have been built at 2wd or 4wd have a replaceable tail cone for 2wd vs 4wd models. Swap out tail cones, bolt on a t-case, t-case linkage, and front drive axle.
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is 2wd until I lock it up. In the snow it's crazy!
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
TheBrat97 wrote:

You shouldn't have to. Most trans that have been built at 2wd or 4wd have a replaceable tail cone for 2wd vs 4wd models. Swap out tail cones, bolt on a t-case, t-case linkage, and front drive axle.

I keep getting conflicting information on this. ThePhantum told me I would have to either swap it or rebuild it front to back. Someone else told me I could just remove the tailshaft and bolt the t-case on where it was. I wish I could get a straight definite answer.
jeepboi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 2 wheel drive jeep and can't conplain about the gas milage one bit. I have been wanting to convert it to 4x4 latley but it seems like that can get expensive.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
ehirner wrote:
TheBrat97 wrote:

I keep getting conflicting information on this. ThePhantum told me I would have to either swap it or rebuild it front to back. Someone else told me I could just remove the tailshaft and bolt the t-case on where it was. I wish I could get a straight definite answer.

What transmission do you have?
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have an AW-4...not really sure how to tell but it's a 1997 4 door automatic 4.0 if that helps
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have an AW-4...not really sure how to tell but it's a 1997 4 door automatic 4.0 if that helps

The AW4 was also used in 4WD XJs so I'd be more inclined to believe it would have a replaceable tailcone. I'd do some research (perhaps calling Novak Conversions, Advance Adapters, or JB Conversions) and see what you can find out. You could also write to any one of the monthly magazines (Four Wheeler, JP, etc) and see what they can tell you. I can guarantee you'll get a good answer from any of those sources....much better than the speculation you're getting from me.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty much what i wanted to hear thanks for the help!
Jeepfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1998 2 door 2wd 5spd and I love it. Fast as hell and handles great
Edge Bored Throttle Body
helix Throttle Body Spacer
MSD Coil 8MM Wires
My Old 94 Chirped 3 gear on a hot summer day
One fast Jeep
badger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
TheBrat97 wrote:

The AW4 was also used in 4WD XJs so I'd be more inclined to believe it would have a replaceable tailcone. I'd do some research (perhaps calling Novak Conversions, Advance Adapters, or JB Conversions) and see what you can find out. You could also write to any one of the monthly magazines (Four Wheeler, JP, etc) and see what they can tell you. I can guarantee you'll get a good answer from any of those sources....much better than the speculation you're getting from me.

ehirner wrote:

Wrong wrong and wrong.Yes most trans come in 2 wheel and 4 wheel variants.But not all are created equal.Some you can remove the tail cone and a spud shaft and make it a 4 wheel drive trans.Most however ,this includes the AW4,this is not the case. With these you would have to take an output shaft from a 4 wheel drive trans and put it in the 2 wheel drive trans along with the tail cone change.So in other words you would have to swap the trans as well.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: