Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rusty's Offroad 2-inch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUNN3RJeep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Rusty's Offroad 2-inch? Reply with quote

First post! Woohoo!

Anyway...I am the proud owner of a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. She's my daily driver (and only vehicle) and I like the way she drives.

I've been wanting to put a mild lift on, but I don't want to sacrifice too much on-road handling. As much as I enjoy off-roading, I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like and I'd rather not sacrifice the streetability of my Jeep for that occasional romp in the rough stuff. As cool as a 3"+ lift is, it's not for me.

A buddy of mine has a Jeep he lifted to just under 3", and behind the wheel the difference is negligible on the street. I was cruising through Rusty's Off Road today and saw that they have a 2" lift kit available for the XJ's.

Does anyone here have experience with that kit, or with Rusty's kits in general? How are they in terms of reliability and longevity? How much difference will this likely make on the street? I honestly am not desperate for more off-road prowess (I have yet to get her stuck, unless I was really trying) but want to make her a little taller next to some of the newer SUV's and get a little bit of an offroad edge. For $270, the price is right, and I can do that work by myself (or at least, with myself and a buddy). The kit is here: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-200AL-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit
Opinions?

Thanks![/list]
mj77724

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the add a leaf in the rear will make it ride stiffer. if you are only looking for 2 inch i would do 2 inch coil spacer and a Shackles lift in the rear or 2nd choice is a 2 inck block in the rear

marlen
rockjock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily go with a pair of spacers and shackles to get 2" but I would avoid blocks. I understand they will cause your leafs to sag.

Personally, I would jump up to 3". It will cause very minimal driving impact on road and you'll gain much more in tire options and off road clearance than with a 2"lift. Shop around and you can find a 3"suspension package for about $350.

I just went from 3" to 4" and truthfully, I would rather spend the money once than twice.
rockjock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah,

I have no experience with Rusty's but I understand they make a good product.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from blocks!

no
johnnykomac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, stay away from add-a-leafs!

Here's a link to some good info.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

I do not have rocky roads budget lift but, it looks like a good option.

Good luck with your search!
adamzski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if possible i'd try to get the coil srpings (or spacers) and shackles, you dont want to do add a leaft cause not only are they a big pain in the ass, but it rides stiffer and more likely than not your stock springs will start to sag if they havent already, and that one leaf is gonna bear more weight than it should and eventually sag as well. i have a 4" in mine and it think the driveability changed negligibly. I just shelled out the extra $$ for the 4" springs rather than add a leafs to save myself alot of time and aggravation.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: