Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP_Jeep GC Limited oil leaking from behind left rear tire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woweh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: HELP_Jeep GC Limited oil leaking from behind left rear tire? Reply with quote

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me, I have a 2002 jeep GC ltd, v8 and now it's leaking oil from the rear left bumper, behind the left rear tire, seems to be some module or? up in there at the corner and I have no idea what it is(fuel pump?), I do know it is oil on my garage floor. If anyone can provide any input on this, it would be GREATLY appreciated. TY Smile
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the rear differential breather tube is routed on an GC but on a TJ, it runs up into the left corner of the tube. If you overfill the diff or have some other problem, oil can push out of the breather tube. This sounds like it could be the cause of the oil dripping in your garage from the left rear corner. Did you recently have your rear diff serviced?
woweh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: I thought about the breather tube on rear diff_But?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I got under the truck tonight to have a look, there is directly behind the rear left wheel well, what seems like an oil pump witha reservoir of oil, tubes in and out of it all and oil all around it from some kind of leak, too tight to work on while laying on my back, god knows I tried. Wondering if it could be anything to do with the heavy duty trailer tow package with this model, but it sure smells like rear diff oil. I am boggled and might take it to the dealer tomorrow, will report the problem here. Thanks
woweh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Fiqured it out Reply with quote

Well, instead of taking it to the mechanic, I had a better look myself, removed the left rear tire, removed one of the plastic rivets so I could see what was going on behind there, and that is where I found the rear diff air breather hose and the source to my 1 time oil drip in my garage. The reason I think it leaked was because I got under there with the power wash to get the salt off the bottom and the end of the tub valve must have frozen, because of this pressure built up due to freezing, when this valve thawed out it burst with some oil due to the pressure build up. Has not leaked since. Hope this helps someone someday!
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted.......I was wondering what you would find, and the vent line is the only thing that made sense.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiqured it out Reply with quote

woweh wrote:
Well, instead of taking it to the mechanic, I had a better look myself, removed the left rear tire, removed one of the plastic rivets so I could see what was going on behind there, and that is where I found the rear diff air breather hose and the source to my 1 time oil drip in my garage. The reason I think it leaked was because I got under there with the power wash to get the salt off the bottom and the end of the tub valve must have frozen, because of this pressure built up due to freezing, when this valve thawed out it burst with some oil due to the pressure build up. Has not leaked since. Hope this helps someone someday!

I doubt your suspected reason. The axle shaft oil seals can only take so much pressure and will blow oil out of the seal long before a significantly pressurization of the axle housing will occur. Otherwise, I'm glad you found where the oil was coming from.
woweh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Still wondering? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, but still have no idea what is up behind the wheel well, I did find the source of the minor leak(vent line), but still not sure why there is an oil reservoir back there and a pump, all with black tubes coming out of it. I started the truck while up in there and pulled one of the tubes out of the pump, low and behold there was a hiss coming from it until I put the black tube on again. Possibly heavy duty cooling option for trailer equipment group? Well thanks all for their input. I might just change the diff oils when the weather is better, could be the viscosity is low and overheated the rear diff. See ya!!
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Still wondering? Reply with quote

woweh wrote:
Thanks guys, but still have no idea what is up behind the wheel well, I did find the source of the minor leak(vent line), but still not sure why there is an oil reservoir back there and a pump, all with black tubes coming out of it. I started the truck while up in there and pulled one of the tubes out of the pump, low and behold there was a hiss coming from it until I put the black tube on again. Possibly heavy duty cooling option for trailer equipment group? Well thanks all for their input. I might just change the diff oils when the weather is better, could be the viscosity is low and overheated the rear diff. See ya!!

Exhaust and emissions stuff is also traditionally tucked up in the rear wheel wells. I think you found that as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: