Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few Questions with my TJ

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizzly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: A few Questions with my TJ Reply with quote

Hello All-

Last year I moved to Alaska, and I purchased a second vehicle for my family, a 2001 TJ with the 4.0L I-6. I do not know what has been done to it besides the head light protection, some new wheels and nerf bars. I put a plain Panasonic CD player in it when the deck in it crapped out. Also I am not very car knowledgeable at this point. I intend on learning with this new toy.

Anyhow I thought the jeep was supposed to have a 19 Gal tank in it, but that is certainly not the case. I get about 200-215 miles to a tank of gas, well until it is on empty, and it usually takes about 15.5-16 to fill her back up. I suppose it could be that the fuel gauge is off, and that it is still a quarter full when it says empty. Is there any way I could check to see how big the gas tank really is without taking it off or running it out of gas? I know this is pretty trivial but I am curious.

Moving along, when I press in the clutch I get this squeaky noise that sounds as if the cable is rubbing on something, and to go along with that the Tranny is rather loud, and not at all smooth feeling, is that normal? My last manual tranny car was an 03 BMW 325i, so I donít think thatís a good comparison.

I am going to assume that it doesnít have ABS as all winter I have been sliding around on the ice, I am used to that though. Also when in N and I give it some gas the car has a tendency to pick up on the right side, I guess, or rock to the left side. Is this because of the I-6 or what?

Lastly my vehicle has a tendency to slide when I shift gears, the roads here are icy, and that is normal but it seems every single time my rear end slides towards the right hand side. I am not sure why this is, but I was wondering if someone would know for me.

I know that I donít sound too knowledgeable, and that is because I am not. I am a satellite tech in the Army, and short of weekly checks on my HMMWV I have no experience with cars. I usually just take it to the shop and say fix it. I want to do some serious upgrades to my jeep, little by little, and learn as I go. Thanks!

Here are some pics of my 01 TJ as well as my 07 patriot which I bought in Feb 07 and drove to Alaska.

ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: A few Questions with my TJ Reply with quote

fizzly wrote:
Anyhow I thought the jeep was supposed to have a 19 Gal tank in it, but that is certainly not the case. I get about 200-215 miles to a tank of gas, well until it is on empty, and it usually takes about 15.5-16 to fill her back up. I suppose it could be that the fuel gauge is off, and that it is still a quarter full when it says empty. Is there any way I could check to see how big the gas tank really is without taking it off or running it out of gas? I know this is pretty trivial but I am curious.

Sounds about right. The 6-cyl TJs only came with the 19-gallon tank. IIRC, there are about 3 gallons remaining when the low fuel idiot light comes on.

Quote:
Moving along, when I press in the clutch I get this squeaky noise that sounds as if the cable is rubbing on something, and to go along with that the Tranny is rather loud, and not at all smooth feeling, is that normal? My last manual tranny car was an 03 BMW 325i, so I donít think thatís a good comparison.

You're right, not a very good comparison. The NV3550 trans you have has a history of being noisy. You could try changing the tranny fluid and see if that helps. Otherwise, it's hard to tell you what's normal without driving it and feeling for myself.

Quote:
I am going to assume that it doesnít have ABS as all winter I have been sliding around on the ice, I am used to that though. Also when in N and I give it some gas the car has a tendency to pick up on the right side, I guess, or rock to the left side. Is this because of the I-6 or what?

If you have a Dana 44 rear end, you definitely do not have ABS as it was not available on any TJs with a D44 rear. Yes, the body lifting is normal.

Quote:
Lastly my vehicle has a tendency to slide when I shift gears, the roads here are icy, and that is normal but it seems every single time my rear end slides towards the right hand side. I am not sure why this is, but I was wondering if someone would know for me.

I have a feeling this is more a result of driving style and characteristics of a short wheelbase vehicle. I'm on my third Wrangler and never had a problem in bad weather. While I don't see Alaska-like winters here, I do get a fair heaping of snow and ice each winter.
fizzly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: A few Questions with my TJ Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Sounds about right. The 6-cyl TJs only came with the 19-gallon tank. IIRC, there are about 3 gallons remaining when the low fuel idiot light comes on.
No I am not talking about the low fuel light being on, I mean where the needle is completely below the E, it doesn't budge when the vehicle is started, that is empty, and from there is it about 15.5 gallons from being full. I usually get about 30 miles from the time the light comes on until I fill her up.

Quote:
I have a feeling this is more a result of driving style and characteristics of a short wheelbase vehicle. I'm on my third Wrangler and never had a problem in bad weather. While I don't see Alaska-like winters here, I do get a fair heaping of snow and ice each winter.
I can control it, but what I am saying is that whenever the tires spin, no matter why, the rear has a tendency of going to the right.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the tank until it is about empty.........

Put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back.............

Drive until it runs out of gas..........

Put the 5 gallons of fuel in the tank...........

Immediately drive to the nearest gas station and fill up...........

Add 5 gallons to the indicated fillup..........

My guess is the result will be 19 gallons.
fizzly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
Run the tank until it is about empty.........

Put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back.............

Drive until it runs out of gas..........

Put the 5 gallons of fuel in the tank...........

Immediately drive to the nearest gas station and fill up...........

Add 5 gallons to the indicated fillup..........

My guess is the result will be 19 gallons.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is that a joke? isn't it really bad for you to run out of gas?
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either.........

As soon as the Jeep sputters, pull over and put the gas in the tank.....

It will not hurt anything.......

You may want to plan this however and not do it in traffic.

You may not want to try this, and that is OK, but then you will never know for sure how big your tank is. Mine hit E just as you described yours doing and I lived with the "16" gallon tank, knowing that I probably had a 3 gallon reserve.

The bottom line is that even with a 3 gallon reserve, you are not going to get too far at 14 mpg. It is certainly best to fill the tank when the gauge reads "E."
fizzly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic either.........

As soon as the Jeep sputters, pull over and put the gas in the tank.....

It will not hurt anything.......

You may want to plan this however and not do it in traffic.

You may not want to try this, and that is OK, but then you will never know for sure how big your tank is. Mine hit E just as you described yours doing and I lived with the "16" gallon tank, knowing that I probably had a 3 gallon reserve.

The bottom line is that even with a 3 gallon reserve, you are not going to get too far at 14 mpg. It is certainly best to fill the tank when the gauge reads "E."
Well today I just filled up my tank with 15.56 gallons, that is with the needle buried on E. The reason this is so important to me is that I am planning on driving my jeep to the North Slope (the Arctic Ocean) this summer and Gas stops a very few and very far between. The difference between 260 Miles on a tank and 220 is a big difference when you are driving 850 miles on a dirt road with very limited gas stops!

At least I know that I am not the only one with this quirk.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my health went to crap, I was going to ride to Deadhorse on a Bike. Sounds like a great adventure. If it was me, I would find a way to carry 10 extra gallons of gas to be sure!

Take lots of pictures and post 'em when you get back!
fizzly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bike... wow! You are a brave soul! I am all about taking pictures, and I will gladly post em for everyone!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
If it was me, I would find a way to carry 10 extra gallons of gas to be sure!

X2

Not sure if the newer TJ's got any better but the fuel gauges on the early models aren't known for their accuracy and there was a recall or 2 on them.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizzly wrote:
Well today I just filled up my tank with 15.56 gallons, that is with the needle buried on E. The reason this is so important to me is that I am planning on driving my jeep to the North Slope (the Arctic Ocean) this summer and Gas stops a very few and very far between. The difference between 260 Miles on a tank and 220 is a big difference when you are driving 850 miles on a dirt road with very limited gas stops!

At least I know that I am not the only one with this quirk.

This is really simple. You know you may have issues with the accuracy of your fuel gauge. As was noted, Jeeps do not have a history of having an accurate fuel gauge. Easy solution is to carry more fuel. If I'm going anywhere that fuel is possibly scarce, I'm sure as hell carrying more on my own.
fizzly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dont get me wrong, I am certainly going to carry more fuel, I was just trying to find out if there is some simple fix to the issue, or way to check the accuracy of the gauge w/o running out of gas.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizzly wrote:
Oh dont get me wrong, I am certainly going to carry more fuel, I was just trying to find out if there is some simple fix to the issue, or way to check the accuracy of the gauge w/o running out of gas.

Like I said in my first post, 6-cyl TJs were only equipped with the larger tank. Only the early 4-cyl Wranglers had the option...or should I say misfortune...of the smaller tank. There is a reserve capacity built into the tank. Without running the tank dry, there is no way to figure it out.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could simply notify the factory and get a copy of the build sheet?

CLICK HERE
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have a 19 gallon tank. Mine is the same way. As for your body lifting this could be normal, but I would check the sway bar links up front. They are known to break an do the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: