Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Jeep, need some help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comando293

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: First Jeep, need some help Reply with quote

Hello all, first post.

I will be getting my first jeep sometime this year. I am pretty much set on getting a new Unlimited. Now I need to work out features and price. I plan to do mild to moderate wheeling, until more cash flows in. The only upgrades I could get right off the bat would be new tires/wheels, and little stuff like fenders.

The way I have the the Sahara equipped puts it at about $1k less than the Rubicon. Is it worth it for me to get all the creature comforts, which are mildly important, and the 18 in. wheels, then upgrading tires? or is that $1k worth dual DANA 44 axles and offroad tires ready to go?

Please don't bash me on my choice of first vehicle. I have made my choice, and I'd like to get some opinions to save me money. If you would like to persuade me to get something used, PM me.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on wheeling it, the Rubicon is a better platform to start from.
jeepfx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
If you are going to do weekend backroads and back country fishing lakes or the odd lockem up type of road,theres really no pont in spending the money on gear that you will not use. I bought a 07 Sahara 2 Dr. 18" wheels just added a skyjacker 3" lift going to add a Warn winch and a Basket Style roof rack wheels . At $29,900 Cdn. I leave the wild stuff to my little Suzuki Sidekick fix it when I get home and bash out the dents.

Dennis
Comando293

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to say that I wouldn't do serious wheeling, but I wouldn't do it immediately after purchase. I can't afford too. I will once I can get more money, but its a chokepoint. I'm trying to find out if it will be worth more to me to get some stuff now, instead of later.
majikxms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board first of all - Either vehicle is great, no bashing here, I'm glad you're picking a Jeep whichever one it is. It'll cost less now if you get the lower priced Jeep, however if you are going to upgrade to the bigger tires, axles and lockers at a later time anyway it'll cost you then. Regardless of when you're going to do it you'll be spending the money for the upgrades. So the question is do you want to spend the money now or do you want to go through the issues of upgrading it at a later time and more than likely end up spending allot more. Personally if I had the money to buy it all now (ie Rubicon) I'd go that route. It costs more in time and labor, especially if someone else will be doing the work, to get things done aftermarket.
Comando293

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess my real question is, is the dual Dana 44 axles and offroad tires worth the comforts and stuff of a Sahara? That's what it boils down too.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
If you plan on wheeling it, the Rubicon is a better platform to start from.

X 2 No question about it. Wink
TORN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new JK 2dr rubi soft top and the ride is perfect. I am just starting mods on mine.
Coastie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First Jeep, need some help Reply with quote

If I understood correctly the Rubicon will hold its resale price better than the Sahara because of the purpose built underpinnings (i.e. axles, etc.). I was torn between the Sahara and Rubicon myself because I don't plan to do heavy wheel'n with it, but I went with the Rubicon and now know that if I want, I can heavy wheel it. Plus I always wanted a Rubicon but could never afford it.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy dead topics....but I'll play along since you can see the cobwebs gathering in the JK section flipoff agree . I went the other direction, got a bare bones X with just the base quick order package and the rear locker/e-disco option. Saved quite a bit over going with a Rubicon and all I'm missing that I would've liked off that model is the front locker and 4:1 gears. I've read about how weak the D30 is 'til I'm blue in the face and it really doesn't concern me. My TJ 30 held up fine wheeling with 33's and 35's and the JK version is stronger than that, so no worries. Tires/wheels were also a non-issue since I pulled the stockers off within the first week or two and replaced them (same would've been true with the Rubicon, backspacing's the same across the board on the OEM's).

Now, that being said if I had traded the '06 WK instead of the '03 KJ, I mighta been in a position to get a Rubicon rather than what I purchased. I still think I'm gonna make out better dollar wise doing it this way, but that way would have saved some time in getting the stuff together.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even see the date. rofl
dwkolb1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubicon fer sher....4:1 transfer case, D44's w/4.10's & lockers, s/b disconnect, better resale later...great starting platform!
Ringo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: First jeep, need some help Reply with quote

My opinion, If your climbing boulders then rubicon for sure. If not than go X package and option up. Checking the Sahara Pkg. is money thrown away on painted fender's and faux stainless trim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> JK Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: