Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CV Boot replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: CV Boot replacement Reply with quote

Hi I am from the UK and have just bought a Grand Cherokee Leredo with Quadra-Track Auto Box.
A 1998 model with the straight six four Litre engine

This is the first Jeep type of vehicle I have owned and I have Two questions
No1 I Have Found one of the front outer CV Boots have split, can any one tell me how to replace please and does the outer joint just Knock off.
No 2 what oil type is used to top up the front Axle, the rear Axle & transfer box. I have been told the transfer box & rear Axle needs a special fluid with a friction agent in as my jeep has the Quadra-Track fitted
Plus are there stores that would ship Jeep parts out to the UK. You think your prices are high you should live over here the Jeep agents talk in a different language. Plus 5 a gallon fuel costs!!!!. Hope some one may be able to help. Cheers basham ( Tony)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to just replace the whole cv axle than to replace the boot if you can afford the axle. If the boot is split, chances are your cv joint is already contaminated and will eventually go bad sooner than putting in a new cv axle. Here's a link to buy the axle from. After selecting drive train once going through your jeep selection. Select cv half shaft assembly and get the side you need. You should get a Hanes manual from an auto parts store and read through the procedure so you will know what tools you'll need before buying the axle to see if your up for the repair. It's really easy as long as you have the right tools. And they will ship to the UK

Your transfer case (box) uses the same fluid you put in your transmission. For your front and rear axles. You want to use 75W-90. If your jeep has the tow package. You will want to use 75W-140 in the rear axle (with a friction modifier if your axle has a limited slip differential). Hope this helps...
1994 w327k
Cold Air K&N / Taurus Elec Fan / O Yellow Top
Dino Max Turbo / Hi Flo Cat / Poly Bush Kit
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! i too needed to replace both cv boots on my 97 zj. Over here in UK it's certainly not cheap for jeep parts/repairs! I have just ordered from rockauto and had items delivered IN 3 DAYS! Amazing and at half price of UK even with trans-atlantic delivery.Many thanks for the link!
My drivers door sags about half an inch when you open it, usual bushes worn on hinge.Took it to stealership here in uk and asked for quote to repair, are you ready?.... 700 thats $1400!!!!! apparently they need to remove door from car, grind off hinge and weld new hinge on and then respray door and refit. Labour charge is, wait for it 87 an hour, $174!! Needless to say i have ordered hinge pin replacement kit from rockauto for less than $10 and plan to do the repair myself. Very pleased with service and speed and can recommend rockauto.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn.. The UK is crazy... I go to Hereford every year for a few weeks..

Actually my wifes family is from Hereford.. We go there and then spend a week camping somewhere in Wales.. but anyway.. We have a good time.. But the conversion is hard to get used to ...

Things are expensive there.. the good thing is when I come home I can make a claim and get back most of my VAT.. Mr. Green
Unless you include the sawzall work..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: