Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Electrical Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Electrical Issues Reply with quote

Hey, I recently upgraded from my 1986 Cherokee 2.5 to a 1992 cherokee 4.0 HO. I love this thing, especially since I got it for 1200. I seem to have a few electrical issues though. The speedo doesnt work (speed sensor i believe, the wiring looks to be in good condition) and I can't get the overhead cpu to work (thermometer/direction etc)

With the speedo sensor, I've never changed one so I don't know exactly how to go about it. I removed the retaining clip and got the sensor loose but it wouldn't come out... does the tailcone need to come off???

Ive checked a LOT of fuses and I still cant seem to get the overhead cpu to work, none of the fuses are blown and it worked for about 6 hours after I drove it home and then it stopped. Does anyone know what the fuse is labeled on the block for it? I have one loose connector on the fuse block which says hp dsp or something like that.

Any input would be helpful, Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No input, sorry, just saying congratulations on your new Jeep.

My girlfriend drives a '93 4.0 HO. Nice Jeeps! And way to go for $1200.

Tim
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you thank you. I have already put a lot into making her a beauty, mostly restoring the electronics to perfect working order.

Got the taillights, turnsignals, and reverse lights working (brake lights too!)
got the power seats working
got the power antenna working
still cant get power to the fog lights, im just going to hardwire them to a switch and then to an open spot on a fuse block.
got all the reading lights working

overall its been a joy getting this old cadillac of a jeep all working again. I'm definately convinced that at 17 years old I can do some dern wiring.

I need to get a new panhard bar joint yet and hopefully get my speedo sensor working, I need to get a new one, I did a LOT of sitting underneath it and staring at it to figure out what was going on.

other than that, all she needs is a bit of rocker panel work and a fresh coat of paint. maybe a 3" lift is in store, I don't want to go too high and have to buy a sye.

any input would be nice as to figuring out my overhead cpu, I'm almost to the point where im going to take that whole assembly out of the overhead compartment and replace it with my cb!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do that! You don't need to know what direction you're heading, you're driving a Jeep. If you want to know the outside temperture just stick your hand out the window.

That would be a perfect place for the CB.

Tim
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new question. I'm removing the cat completely, its starting to rust through anyways. What muffler won't make it sound like a pissed off bumble bee?

(thank god for no inspections)
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít know if there is any information in this
Post that will help you.
Overhead Console Installation
From Go Jeep of Australia
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOverheadConsole.htm
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that link actually did help me locate some of the wiring, and the connector was barely connected.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: 1992 Jeep Laredo Electrical Problems Reply with quote

As for your speedo inop. The sensor on the transfer could be it.
but my 91 XJ had the speedo go out. I replaced the sensor and it worked for a while and quit again. Had the speedo board reapired $200.00.
The auto part stores only carry the sensor for the manual trans it will
not work properly. You can only get the right one from Jeep about $155.00
1991 Cherokee Limited
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already have a replacement, I just havent gotten around to fixing it. Ive never done it before and when i went to take the old sensor out it wouldnt come out of the tail-cone on the t-case. I didnt want to chance breaking anything in there so I'm waiting until I either see whats in there before I yank the thing out, or someone who has done the repair on a 91-93 cherokee 4.0 automatic posts something that I can use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: