Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust manifold crack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Exhaust manifold crack Reply with quote

Just wondering... Here lately when I try to start the engine it will turn over several times then fire but quickly dies. But when I go to start it the second time it fires right up but idles rough for about one minute or less. I can almost count on it doing this every time I start the car unless it had just recently been running. Could this be because of the crack in the exhaust manifold and if not what problems could the crack cause? If not what else could I check? Let me add I have already replaced the plugs and wires...but in a way it sounds like it could be a fuel issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your manifold it cracked you should hear a popping. Get it running, put your head under the hood and listen, run your hand near the manifold, use a flash light and look for carbon on the manifold and feel for air leaks.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the crack the typical 4.0L problem where it cracks by the collector after the header pipes? If so, I doubt this would cause your symptoms. Mine was cracked for a year before I replaced it and it ran smooth the whole time.
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already knew the maifold is cracked, that wasn't my question.

To answer Davids question, yes it is in the typical spot right at the collector. And I ordered the Banks last night for the hell of it, even if it doesn't solve the issue. So I will probably be contacting you over the weekend for guidance on that project.

I wasn't sure if the crack might mess with the air-to-fuel ratio. I have read that after putting a new header on people have experienced high idling because of leaks.

Whats the next thing(s) I should check? Probably wouldn't hurt to put a new cap and rotor on. Maybe even the fuel pump and filter.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check your throttle body next. In my own experience and from reading the postings here, it seems a lot of the idle problems are related to the throttle body and the few sensors connected to it.

If I remember correctly, the person who had the high idle related to the exhaust manifold had just installed a new one, but he hadn't tightened it properly, which would mean the intake manifold wasn't tightened properly either since they share the same bolts. When he re-tightened them, it fixed his problem.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your jeep have an intake air temp sensor? That could cause an issue like this if it does. Which would explain why it starts and runs well after its been running.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
it seems a lot of the idle problems are related to the throttle body and the few sensors connected to it.

Any idea which sensor? I cleaned the throttle body and IAC a few months back maybe I should go back and do them again.

Toliver09 wrote:
does your jeep have an intake air temp sensor? That could cause an issue like this if it does. Which would explain why it starts and runs well after its been running.

Im not sure if it does...my question is why would it turn over several times(unusual amount of turning over) then fire for a quick sec and then die, then fire right up on the second try but with rough idle?
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the check engine light came on today, turned out to be the Cam Position sensor. Does this sound like a probable cause to my problem? Wanted to make sure before I spent any $$$.
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the one in my 93 went out the engine cut out all together. Don't remember if it would fire over afterwards.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was writing a reply, I noticed you had written yours. Yes, this sounds like a CPS problem. If you are removing your header soon anyway, it will be a heck of a lot easier to change it with the header off, because the thing is tucked up on the top, driver's side of the bell housing... kind-of behind the header. If you look up the CPS, it usually runs just under $100.
[Edit] Once again... I'm not reading carefully enough. I was thinking Crank shaft position sensor. I have yet to deal with the Cam sensor. Without looking it up, I'm not even sure where that one is. Sorry. I would imagine a ton of people reading this would know exactly where it is and what its symptoms are. (Although having a spare Crank Position Sensor in the glove compartment is a wise idea with the 4.0L)
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think I was wrong when I said Cam position sensor. The OBDII diagnostic tool said Cam Position, but according to the Haynes manual the Cam Position is only on 2000+ XJ's. Like David said from the symptoms I have and from what the Haynes manual says, it points to the CPS(Crank Position). Plus I unplugged and replugged in the CPS and the check engine light was off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: