Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cj7 wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neeko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: cj7 wiring Reply with quote

ok. here goes. i've done an extensive rebuild on an '86 cj7. mechanical stuff, no problem. give me some wires and who knows. so i got a new wiring harness from painless performance (misleading name). well, after a few days on the phone with the tech support staff (fantastic service) i got everything in order and she turned over today.

after 10 sec or so of turning the starter, it slowed down and stopped turning. the next few key turns the starter would turn for half a second and then all i could hear was the clicking of the solenoid. the next few turns, no starter rotation, only solenoid clicking.

figuring maybe an old solenoid to starter cable, i got a new one, replaced it, and now nothing. now the lights only barely come on. when i insert and turn the key there is nothing for half a sec and then the lights come on very dim. seems to be a huge load somewhere. wtf! the thing just turned over! now nothing. i've been stressing about wires for almost a week now and this is starting to get me.

ignition wire to solenoid is hot when i turn the key.

help!!!! any ideas!!!! i'm all ears

Matthew Nicholas
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the battery is good?
neeko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

battery is brand new and has only cranked for a matter of seconds. i think i need to recheck my grounds. i think i need a new solenoid again as well. how easy is it to burn out a starter solenoid? this is 2 i've gone through now. Bat- is grounded to the engine and the other grounds attach at the firewall.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't your problem, but I run a ground to my frame from the engine as well. Driver side motor mount to the frame.
I would check the voltage on the battery with a mutimeter, just in case. Are you sure the solenoid is hooked up right?

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the alternator also. Autozone will test it for free, if it's good then you can cross it off the list! Wink
neeko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i apreciate the help thus far. tomorrow morning i will also ground to chasis. the solenoid is hooked up correctly, i think i fried it though. so i picked up a new one at lunch today. now there is no ground on the solenoid but do you think it would be a good idea to ground it out too. i have a painless wiring harness that is suposedly grounded but i don't think a little caution would hurt.

so this will be my third solenoid. they work at first and then as i said, the cranking power decreases to nothing and all you can hear is the very fast clicking of the solenoid when ignition is engaged. i think it's a ground problem. i'll post back with results.

matthew
1986 CJ7 (some of it), new rebuilt 258 engine with a 4.0 cylinder head, new performance exhaust headders and flowmaster muffler, new webber 34/34 carb, starter, 60K coil, solenoid, distributor, battery, solenoid, painless performance wiring harness, lock-right power trax gears, rebuilt axles off 1976 Cj(i got me disc's up front now!!), driveshafts, brake master cylinder, SS brake lines, braided steel brake hoses, rebuilt steering column, speedo cluster reads 0.1m. coated inside and out with rhinoliner.

man i need to fire it up and get some miles on her. so much time, love, and $$ thus far. thanks again.
dodger889

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok did you replace the heavy ground and pos. off of the battery with new heavy duty wiring these I would not think would be with a new wiring harness. and recharge the battery to a full charge will tou are trying to start the engine watch a volt meter or digital mutlimeter it should not drop below 9 volt while starting if it does I would look at the starter itself has being bad drawing to much ampreage I would take to a auto zone or retail car part and have them to test it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: