Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Starting Issue Reply with quote

Hey all, so I have yet to figure out why I am having some starting issues. When I try to start my '97 cold it will turn over several, several times then act like it's going to fire up then dies. But when I try the second time, it starts right up... and sometimes will idle rough like it has a fuel overload but not always. Other than that once it warms up it idles right where it should and drives real smooth. I can always count on the two-try start when cold and sometimes when I have been driving for awhile.

Just recently I have replaced plugs and wires, put new Banks header on to rid of a cracked manifold, pulled the throttle body and cleaned it and the IAC. I also have replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor(check engine light came on for this one which is why I changed it) which was my last guess.

Seems to me like it could be a fuel issue but I don't know. What do y'all think??? I'm done throwing parts at it! Confused
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was doing pretty much the same and I changed my TPS and it starts 1st time almost every time now.

I don't know why exactly but it worked for mine.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay for a new TPS?

I know this is a vague problem and there could be MANY possible solutions....anyone who has had the same problem or similar? If so, what did you do to correct it?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours looks like $48.79 at www.rockauto.com

(Mine was only $25.79)

I was going through process of replacing most all of my sensors because of their unknown state and I was hoping to avoid a field failure.

(I keep old replaced parts as spares if they were still working and are in fairly good shape)

1992 XJ Laredo
Gryphon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing. The problem with mine is that it leaks the fuel pressure out of the lines. I determined that it was either leaking out of fuel pump back in to the tank or it was leaking through one of the injectors into a cylinder.

I replaced the fuel pump and that didn't nothing to correct it. I'm guessing it is one of the injectors. But, at $100 a pop, I'm not going to replace them all. It's been doing this for about two years, but it starts up every time and hasn't gotten any worse. I plan to just live with it.

If you have the tools, check the fuel pressure after your Jeeps been shut off for a couple of hours.
mikeuax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 98 just started doin the exact same thing that you described. replaced the TPS and plugs and wires. Still wont start till the second try for some reason. Did you ever figure out some possible solutions????
________
Ultimate Fighters

Last edited by mikeuax on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try replacing CPS?

Sounds like a PIA to get to it from what I have read but I intend to replace mine relatively soon.

Sounds like that it would cause what , you are experiencing but I have not yet changed one myself.

1992 XJ Laredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: