Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Acting Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Steering Acting Up Reply with quote

I got a used 98 Jeep with with a lift & 35's. First road trip it was hard to steer. I would make a small correction...keep correcting...& finally a reaction, but over reaction because of all my adjusting. Then back the other direction. After my trip I upped the air pressure & all was better until this week.

Now when making a small turn, it is acting like it does not want to come out of the turn. So if I am turning left & then turn back right to go straight. As I get going straight I have to keep pulling the wheel to the right to make it track straight. It will finally track straight with out any input from me, but I have to work at it. Works the same in both directions. Especially odd when driving at any kind of speed. I have to weave around to get it going straight. Any ideas of what this could be? I checked steering fluid & when I took the cap off, there was a release of pressure, but the fluid was at the correct level. I figured I will have to change the fluid because I dont' know how long it has been in there.

So my thoughts where fluid first. Maybe the pump is going as it is having to turn 35's as opposed to stock. Thought tomorrow, if I have time after work, I will look to see if any arms are loose and wobbly. The where not at last check, but that doesn't mean any thing Smile

Anyone got any ideas or had this happen?

Tim
Winch
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
Air System Purchased and in the works
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have adjustable control arms to get your caster relatively close to spec?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/caster_adjustment_on_tj.html

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel bearing assemblies will cause wandering if they are bad.
TJRobbie00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your running a stock steering gear box with 35s you should go ahead and go to the local junk yard or parts store and get a dodge durango V8 steering box with out the snow plow package. it will bolt right in and if will feel like your drivign a race car! thumbs
make sure you get the steering box that come in the old body style though, so lie a 2000 or so
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had one that acted like that and it was the front track bar.
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the track bar, and everything seemed secure in the steering system. My next thought was the Steering Stabilizer. Those of us that looked thought it could be it going bad just like a normal shock. On a normal shock it keeps bouncing after a bump. Well, we thought the steering stabilizer could be doing the same thing. after the turn it wants to keep going and keeps pulling the steering to one direction or the other after the turn. It doesn't matter which direction I am coming from and trying to go straight. It always fights me. Actually this weekend I had it do a quick dart to one direction while test driving. I corrected and it quickly darted to the other direction.

What does everyone think of this idea? My Jeep also has a new suspension on it (it came with it installed as I got it used). I am not sure if it is a stock steering stabilizer or a different. It has a 5.5" suspension lift & 35's.
TJRobbie00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post a pick if the stabilizer is black its most likely stock and the easiest way to see if its the stabelizer is to take it off and see how hard it is to open and compress it. if its like a yo yo then you need a new one but if your struggling to open and close it, then its still good

am i right guys(and girls)?
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have not replaced them yet, but I believe I know what the problem is now. I finally had time to jack my Jeep up & check it out. I tried wiggling the wheels & they moved quite a bit. So I have two wheel hub assemblies ordered. I am sure this will fix the problem Smile and happy it is an easy job as I replaced them on my last Jeep. My only problem was getting the hub loose.

I'll let ya know if it works!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the trick I use to pull a stubborn hub. After removing all that is necessary, put a 3" extension between the knuckle and the outer axle, then turn the steering wheel and the hub pops off!

WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome...I never thought of using the steering Smile I will be sure to give it a try. Last time I got a big ol' sledge & wacked away. Eventually it came off, but I was starting to wonder Shocked

Thanks man, I'll let ya know how it goes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: