Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zj muffler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishjrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: zj muffler Reply with quote

so i was makin my christmas list and i need a new muffler for my zj.
i saw the flowmaster offroad muffler and it caught my eye. i have heard a little about them and wouldnt mind tuckin one under the jeep.
sooo, anybody have good/bad to say about this muffler?

the only thing i didnt like was that they only make it in the 40 series when i would like a 50 so that my 4.0L doesnt sound bigger than it is . ill probably end up feelin like a poser
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Flowmaster 40! Cool
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flowmaster 40 here also..

Cause I have destroyed several mufflers .. Magna flow ... ripped apart..
Vortex torn to crap.. Dynomax.. Did not do it ... and last but not least.. Gibson which I blew the back out of after about a week..

Flowmaster is not my favorite muffler I infact have a great disdain for the thousands of mustangs with flowmasters I see a day.. but the muffler is very very strong.. So hell with it...

And my 5.2 sounds like a beast with the flowmaster on it..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ehall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flowmaster is a popular brand and it has a nice sound, and they have the heavy-duty model which is what you're looking at I guess. However they do not have very good airflow, so if you're looking for performance and not just the appearance of performance I'd recommend something else. I'm specifically looking at Hooker Header kits for my XJ beater since they have the highest actual CFM airflow, and will probably just cover it with skid plate to keep it from being ripped out.

If you can get away with it in your state, a straight-through glass-pack would give the best actual flow.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the sound a ZJ makes with Aero exhuast. there are other brands out there that are "better" than flow master like magna borla etc but fact is the muffler itsself wont effect HP to much. i like the unique gargle that a flowmaster has so i think i have the super 40. or maybe 30 im cant remember. i had it str8t pipe to flowmaster no cat and thats it but now i added a foot of pipe and a turn down so the noise is much more contained since its pointed down. i love the sound but one day after i get headers and a new Y pipe ill go Aero cus they are the bomb shizzle in my opinion. fact is anything other then stock will sound good. i had str8t pipe to turbo cherry bomb muffler for 20 bucks.. sounded pretty mean so it just depends on what sound you are going for and prefer. good luck!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and ya like swampy said these flowmaster mufflers are STOUT. damn what a differance between it and the cherry bomb i smashed. the flowmaster can most def take a beating
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Swampy, just out of curiosity... about those mufflers that got "ripped apart", "torn to crap", blown out the back, etc... Did all that damage come from rocks and such on your off road excursions or did they do that themselves? Shocked I am guessing it is the rough riding and that some of those would be fine for a daily driver and lightweight off roading. Did you like any of the ones you tore up before they bit the dust?
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, my jeep is a daily driver. I had a Dynomax turbo put on about four years ago and still no problems with it. Cost me 80$ total. I'm always getting compliments on how good my jeep sounds. But I do have a high flow catalytic converter on. The reason swampy goes through so many mufflers is all that horse power he has under the hood. Its a beast pissed
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love power! I won't ever turn my ZJ into a raging bull(or zebra) but I am adding a new exhaust system right now. I just had a Magnaflow high-flow cat put on because my stock one crapped out.
They were out of stock on the Magnaflow performance muffler until today. I am going back Friday to have it installed and run 2.5 pipe out the back. I can't wait!

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

589Outlaw wrote:
Hey Swampy, just out of curiosity... about those mufflers that got "ripped apart", "torn to crap", blown out the back, etc... Did all that damage come from rocks and such on your off road excursions or did they do that themselves? Shocked I am guessing it is the rough riding and that some of those would be fine for a daily driver and lightweight off roading. Did you like any of the ones you tore up before they bit the dust?

Most where beaten to death... rofl

But I actually blew the back out of a Magnaflow while on the way to a trail.... My muffler guy told me they where only rated for 250 HP... I had no idea that was an issue... But Whatever... It sure did sure did suck... rofl

Rolling down the freeway at 90 with the pur of exhaust then all of a sudden a backfire and a screaming exhaust..... My poor Zebra sounded like a rednecks busted 82 Thunderbird with fence post for exhaust.. rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: