Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ almost dies after almost every start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: XJ almost dies after almost every start Reply with quote

for a while my 98 XJ has been acting like there's water in the tank. I give it gas, it nearly dies, then pops and springs back to life. this often happens in rapid succession. I've treated it with some stabilizers a few times, but there's no change. It's just for the first few minutes when I start driving, and after that it's just fine. It seems like if I give it really high RPMs and let the clutch out slowly a few times, it's ok. It seems to do it mostly when it's wet/humid, but it does it on dry days too. It will also do it when the engine is already warm, but is turned off for a few minutes, and then restarted. I'm stumped. I know this can't be good for the engine, and it's really noisy and other drivers think i'm revving my engine at them. any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. thanks!
THULE M.O.A.B. roof basket
BAJA Lights (because doing it in the dark rocks!)

about to install exhaust, steering stabilizer, throttle body spacer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem. Mine started after replacing my TPS. I just can't seem to get it adjusted perfectly. no matter how finely I tune that sensor, it either races, or does exactly what you describe.
Dakar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was begining to think that my catalytic converter might be clogged. I hadn't even thought about the TPS. I had to replace my TPS not too long ago. I think that's when it started.

does anyone know why that might cause it, and what can be done?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dakar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, now that I think about it, It had more trouble on and off with idling before I replaced the TPS, and the drops in RPM/sputtering has gotten progressively worse, and I found out today the the oxygen sensor (the one proximal to the engine) might be bad. clogged cat??

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a clogged cat , just loose the dahm thing if you don't have inspection .

but the first #1 thing you do when you work on a fuel injected vehicle is ......... CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER . its cheap and its usually the problem .

clean the throttle body like a nut .

bad 02 sensor will just resort to a pre-determined all around fuel mixture . should run fine . same thing with tps , it should just advance spark at a pre-determined curv , especially since you have a stick .

also if you think you got water , methyl hydrate takes care of that . about 2$ a liter .
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Brad The Best what is the ratio of methyl hydrate to a liter of gas? One gallon = 3.785411784 liter I think
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just able to fix mine yesterday finally... I found after re-checking the voltage of the TPS that it was at 4.33, and it should be at 4.2... I got it to run great at 4.22 volts, but it raced at 4.20... so it is now back at 4.22, and running fine. Your voltage is gonna be different because it's a stick. 0.05 volts, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: