Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new zj owner has ? about installed lift.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinwa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: new zj owner has ? about installed lift. Reply with quote

As the title stated I recently bought a 93 grand. The guy I bought it from worked at a tire place and had a lift and tires installed. It was all for show. Anyways it has wild country 33x12.5's on it. They rub slightly when the wheel is fully cranked. I don't know much about lifts so I'm not really sure what I have, or what I should look for/at. I'm sure it will rub bad off road, what should I do first? seems like I need to figure what I've got and go from there. What should I look at? Any suggestions?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let see some pics!
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, post up some pics, lets see what you got!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfourtanatly my camera is broken. mabey this weekend I can figure something out. till then use your imagination. It's black. All black, dark tint, all gold removed and painted. Theres no badges either. It has black outlaw style wheels with the 33 wild countrys with a 4"? lift. It has a smittybuilt brush guard on it also, black of course. basicly it's black with big tires. Gets alot of looks though.
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks alot like Brad's? Very Happy
If you get your camera working, maybe you could give us some shots of your suspension to see what you have under there.
jeffinwa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

589Outlaw wrote:
So it looks alot like Brad's? Very Happy
If you get your camera working, maybe you could give us some shots of your suspension to see what you have under there.

Yeah it does, except it doesn't have badges, the front windows are darker and it has a brushguard. When I saw that picture I also thought of the similaritys.

So how would I know whats after market and whats oe? I seem to recall he said it had 2 lifts, a tuff country and a ruff built truck. Is there some good online pics of the suspension?
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say without actually looking at it but maybe these pictures will help. I don't know of a kit called "ruff built" but there is a "tuff country" and a "rough country" kit for the ZJ.

This is the Tuff

This is the Rough

Do any of those parts look familiar to you?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only slightly rubbing you can pull off your front tires and beat the pinch weld down flat..That will give you nearly an Inch ...all the way around the front tire...

OR you can pull off the steering stops and put 2 washers behind them and put them back. That will slightly limit your steering but maybe stop the rubbing...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think your better eh!? maybe someday i'll get around to getting luxury items such as you Cool

nah just playin - gotta have money to do the things you like - sometimes that takes time as we all know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad S wrote:
think your better eh!? maybe someday i'll get around to getting luxury items such as you Cool

nah just playin - gotta have money to do the things you like - sometimes that takes time as we all know.

Yeah I bought it that way though, besides you have the v8!
I am looking at making some of my own bolt on stuff though, I made another post about that.
Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow going for me - I've done quite a bit myself.
Rear Trailer Hitch, Front trackbar upper and lower mounts, currently still working on finishing my roof rack and rockers.

Takes time but its fun and worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad, what design are you doing with you roof rack? Is it for a tire or cargo? I made one last year just to carry my spare. It is slightly different than it started.

Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking through my pics I haven't taken any photos of it in a little while.
Here's one of the last ones I took:

The red marks are where I have welded bracing in since then. I have expanded steel mesh for the bottom of this thing. It's going to weigh quite a bit I have a feeling, but it will definately be large enough to haul crap in.

I have been considering lately cutting the front, top and moving it back about 4 in - possibly lowering it too - to make room for lights. I haven't decided yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: